• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Shotty work poll

Add on fuse

• Use it

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Loose it

Votes: 11 68.8%

• Total voters

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
"Never" is a long time. We have put in literally hundreds of them from pickups to class 8, dozers etc. and a few passenger cars thrown in. As stated with the newest multiplex it can run into problems but in the dash of a KW where you know the feed to the fuse goes straight back to the battery or some big relay then to the battery, it works perfectly. You will not overload anything if installed backwards but as you correctly stated earlier, you might double up on the fuse for the original load, the answer to that problem is to not install it backward.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
In my early days working on Komatsu excavators, they never put in enough heater fan in the cab to keep the windows clear. The operator's answer was to just get a fan where ever and screw it into the frame of the back of the cab. To them, any old wire they could probe that would light up a test light was good. Many dollars wasted because the operator would hide the wire connection under the panels and plastic and not say anything.
We then changed up and started putting accessories on the radio circuit. Usually only a three amp fuse in them and power came off the buss bar. Made it easy to troubleshoot over the phone. If they didn't mention it on the call, the dispatcher would ask them if the radio worked. That fancy add a fuse thing might have been a big help on the corn binders and old Japanese machines.

Vetech63

In my early days working on Komatsu excavators, they never put in enough heater fan in the cab to keep the windows clear. The operator's answer was to just get a fan where ever and screw it into the frame of the back of the cab. To them, any old wire they could probe that would light up a test light was good. Many dollars wasted because the operator would hide the wire connection under the panels and plastic and not say anything.
We then changed up and started putting accessories on the radio circuit. Usually only a three amp fuse in them and power came off the buss bar. Made it easy to troubleshoot over the phone. If they didn't mention it on the call, the dispatcher would ask them if the radio worked. That fancy add a fuse thing might have been a big help on the corn binders and old Japanese machines.
LOL......spelling passed!:D

heymccall

We then changed up and started putting accessories on the radio circuit. Usually only a three amp fuse in them and power came off the buss bar. Made it easy to troubleshoot over the phone. If they didn't mention it on the call, the dispatcher would ask them if the radio worked.

All of my loader attachment wiring is on the same feed as the CB radio.
"My broom won't angle" is now met with, Does the CB work? "My planer won't tilt" yields the same question.

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
If we do 2 or more circuits for an upfit we put in a little fuse panel somewhere. I hate having a bunch of inline fuse holders everywhere. Same with relays it's pretty easy to order a nice relay box these days online. Don't even have to deal with a parts counter monkey.

JLarson

Occupation
Yep, I can't stand a crappy upfit and that seems like what every truck and body company does, throw 500 feet of wire a handful of crummy fuse holders and some relays at the vehicle and hope it sticks. Some municipal equipment really blows, sweepers, vac trucks.

JD955SC

Yep, I can't stand a crappy upfit and that seems like what every truck and body company does, throw 500 feet of wire a handful of crummy fuse holders and some relays at the vehicle and hope it sticks. Some municipal equipment really blows, sweepers, vac trucks.

Don’t forget scotchlocks and other “do it faster and easier” junk

JLarson

Occupation
Fucking scotchlocks

Every time I see one I wanna wack someone with my crimpers.

They make for great trailer light service calls tho.

Midnightmoon

That's my opinion add a fuse is just a scotch lock in disguise unprofessional on every level. It's easy stop being lazy and do it right

mekanik

When I worked for a Kenworth dealer we would get a radio shop to send a guy over
to install the radios. They were the worst harness butchers I have ever seen. It got to the point where I would open the dash and show them the power wire to use and where to put the ground and where to put the co-ax through the firewall. The Add-A-Fuse and Scotch-Lock were made for radio installers.
Once a radio installer showed up all battered and bruised. I jokingly asked him what
happened. Apparently he was working in the dash of a new vehicle and managed to set off the steering wheel air bag.
Had a customer bring his car to our shop. It was a lease and he was returning it that day, he wanted me to take the Auto-Tel out for his next vehicle. It was screwed to the floor of the trunk. When I took the screws out, 4" long self drilling tapping screws I could smell gasoline. The screws went through the trunk and an inch further into the gas tank. I put the screws back in to plug the holes in the tank.
My last job a company that outfits new vehicles installed a radio clam-shell on the hump in the floor of our new Ford Expedition. They managed to put a self drilling screw through the transmission housing.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
See these twits at truck shops and garages, the ONLY screws they use are MILES too long, setting to Sheet Metal or Plastic where ONLY have to pass thru the material not anchor to the asphalt under the machine.