• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Some pics of my current project

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Operating Engineer/mechanic
Here's my current project.
It consists of back filling some 51,000 ft. of open trench.
These trenches were dug in order to locate and map any current earthquake
faults.
They range from 10'-17' deep.
The entire project covers 26,000 acres which requires a 4x4 about 80% of the time.
The location is N/O I-10 Just before you drop down into Indio.

Make sure you honk when you go by.:drinkup

Attachments

• lindsay backfill 001.jpg
    lindsay backfill 001.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 10,293
  • lindsay backfill 007.jpg
    lindsay backfill 007.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 10,243
  • lindsay backfill 008.jpg
    lindsay backfill 008.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 10,184

RollOver Pete

Occupation
:usa

Attachments

• lindsay backfill 047.jpg
    lindsay backfill 047.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 10,131
  • lindsay backfill 051.jpg
    lindsay backfill 051.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 10,031
  • lindsay backfill 046.jpg
    lindsay backfill 046.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 9,928

RollOver Pete

Occupation
:drinkup

Attachments

• IMGP0224.JPG
    IMGP0224.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 9,730
  • IMGP0225.JPG
    IMGP0225.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 9,647
  • IMGP0226.JPG
    IMGP0226.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 9,609

jazak

Looking good....I assume your owner/operator?? How well does that CAT push that sand?? Also what model I can't make it out.

Nice Dodge btw......

jazak

Yah those new Dodges are looking good. They're a nice truck my buddy bought a 3500 SRW Cummins with the MegaCab. Inside its like the GM Durmax how quiet it is!!!!!

BTW I was at a trade show & they had the Dodge 4500. Looked like a nice work truck. Now Ford has some competition with the F450/F550's. (GM's 4500/5500 does not compare when you're looking for a small but powerful commercail vehcile to work in heavy residentail areas......)

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Looking good....I assume your owner/operator?? How well does that CAT push that sand?? Also what model I can't make it out.

Nice Dodge btw......

I do own a 430 Cat rubber tired hoe. It stays busy with a local water well drilling company that in with.
This D8R belongs to ECCO EQ. Corp.
They pay me my wages + pay for and maintain my 06 3500.
Anything that goes into, on or gets used or worn out on my truck they pay for. In return, I work every day that I want to work and take excellent care of their investment. Any minor repairs that may occur, I take care of.
Yeah, I know its a fat deal I have going on. But it didn't happen over night.
I'll say, over the last 6 years, we both have maid each other lots of $ :drinkup

jazak

I do own a 430 Cat rubber tired hoe. It stays busy with a local water well drilling company that in with.
This D8R belongs to ECCO EQ. Corp.
They pay me my wages + pay for and maintain my 06 3500.
Anything that goes into, on or gets used or worn out on my truck they pay for. In return, I work every day that I want to work and take excellent care of their investment. Any minor repairs that may occur, I take care of.
Yeah, I know its a fat deal I have going on. But it didn't happen over night.
I'll say, over the last 6 years, we both have maid each other lots of $ :drinkup

Thats a VERY nice deal...don't f it up ;)

Truckie

Looks like you will be busy for a while. Back filling. Congrats on the deal you got with the company.:drinkup
Nice looking machine you got there. It looks pretty new. Is it?
Also good looking truck. I had a 05 Dodge LWB Quad Cab with the Cummins in it but I sold it for 2 reasons. 1 was it was wrecked in to 3 times in one year. 2 was I needed the extra money to help my grand mother out at the time with some medical bills. God rest her soul.

Last edited:

rino1494

What in the hell is there a ripper on the tractor for. That stuff looks like it would be a dream to dig in compared to the crap that I have here.

RollOver Pete

Occupation
What in the hell is there a ripper on the tractor for. That stuff looks like it would be a dream to dig in compared to the crap that I have here.

UM..... It's easier to leave them on than take them off...
And you'd be surprised out here.
First theres the sand which covers up the cobble, bigger cobble, boulders, bigger boulders till you hit the blue granite. :Banghead

Besides, rippers look cool :cool2

Lashlander

Good pics!:thumbsup How long ago were the trenches dug. Looks like a while ago. Also looks like you could use some rain. I'd sure like to send some of ours down.:drinkup
I love those kind of jobs. No one around to bug you or slow you down, just get after it.

Last edited:

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Some of them have been open for as long as 6-8 months. They are the ones I'm working on now.
As I head north or toward the mountains, I'll run into newer trenches. You can use Goggle Earth and it shows great shots of the site. Also shows the site across the freeway I finished 2 years ago. Dillon Rd. @ I-10 will put you there.
:cool:

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Good pics Pete. :thumbsup

What are they planning to do with the land after you level it out?

RollOver Pete

Occupation
After the geologists submit their report to the owners, they will then decide where they can or can't build. It's all relative as to where the active earthquake faults are. As the pictures below show, the trenches are the only way of pinpointing exactly where an active fault is. I know that this survey alone was over $1 million.
If there is any development out here, it's still years off.
:cool:

Attachments

• Apr16_0002.jpg
    Apr16_0002.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 2,608
  • Apr16_0003.jpg
    Apr16_0003.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 2,618
  • Apr16_0004.jpg
    Apr16_0004.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 2,609
  • Apr16_0005.jpg
    Apr16_0005.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 2,620
  • Apr16_0006.jpg
    Apr16_0006.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 2,627

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
Pete, curious as to how the undercarriages on the 8's hold up in the sandy conditions. We don't have sand that fine up here, but there are places that are pretty darn close and we've buried wheeled machines in it. Just curious how many hours you're getting out of undercarriage components.

BTW, darn nice truck and the pics are great!

RollOver Pete

Occupation
It's hard for me to give you an accurate number.
Reason being.... when I finish with the R, there's no telling where it will go. The company I work for rents equipment all over California. It could end up on the coast or up North. One never knows?
The same goes for me. I could be on a excavator or another dozer or loader somewhere. I mostly end up on the kind of jobs that require you to have a
4x4, tools, fluids and lots of fuel. Fortunately for me, I can get by if repairs are needed and carry just over 200 gallons of fuel. That said, I end up where a mechanic and , or lube truck are unable to go. And knock on wood, I stay real busy all year long. I'll get with someone at the shop regarding your question. As for the truck, it's just another tool that helps me make a living. I've put just over 50,000 miles on it in 12 months and burned close to $12,000.00 of company fuel. With them maintaining it and taking care of any payments/expenses, I'll gladly go to where ever it is they ask of me.
:cool2

Attachments

• Full of it 001.jpg
    Full of it 001.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 2,567
  • IMGP0265.JPG
    IMGP0265.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 2,570
  • PB171008.JPG
    PB171008.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 2,579

nedly05

Nice pics! Sweet truck! How often do you have to clean/replace the air filter in the dozer? Looks like it would be very dusty!