• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Some pics of my current project

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Operating Engineer/mechanic
I blow both cabin and engine air filters once a day.
Fuel is expensive, so every little bit helps.
:cool2

nedly05

We always just use a blow gun and blow from the inside out, it blows all of the crap out, never seen one tear yet. We do ours when we service (every 100 hrs) unless its bad dusty, then we'll do it more frequently.

dayexco

We always just use a blow gun and blow from the inside out, it blows all of the crap out, never seen one tear yet. We do ours when we service (every 100 hrs) unless its bad dusty, then we'll do it more frequently.

keyword "yet"

RollOver Pete

Occupation
I only blow the primary filter.
Messing with the secondary filter is a sin... isn't it?
I always change all filters when ever I do a service @ 250 hrs. which is based on oil sample results.
In conditions like I'm working in, I'll probably change the primary filter much sooner.
During a service, I replace both the primary (big one) and secondary(little one) air filters with new ones. The secondary is always stays clean (white). If for some reason the primary was to get a tear in it, I'd know as soon as I pulled the cover.
That's where the secondary filter saves your rear.
BTW, I only use about 50psi when ever I blow a filter.
The ground is so dry that I've chosen to work nights instead. People wont complain about dust they cant see. :naughty :naughty
At around 4-5 hrs, the cabin filter is packed. So they both get cleaned twice a shift. :eek:

In 28 years, the only time I've ever blown a hole in a filter was when it was wet. Oh well....It needed to be replaced anyways. :D

While some may disagree, I've never had an engine failure on a machine that I operated and serviced due to sand entering the intake.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Or you can come over here and put a new air filter in every 1-2 hours...either that or you have to a real bad boy and blow your filter out. Sorry I not entirely made of money!.

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Just curious how many hours you're getting out of undercarriage components.

I spoke with our shop supervisor tonight and asked him.
On average, 4500-5000 hrs. before everything falls apart. :eek:
And that's using Cat parts.
Sand will eat up an U.C. almost as fast as rock.
Keep in mind that we often end up in the absolute worst of conditions, and get paid well for it. :drinkup
Well enough that there seems to always be a new machine being delivered to one of our yards.
How they do it? I'll never know. :beatsme
Some how, It must all work out. :yup

Grader4me

Or you can come over here and put a new air filter in every 1-2 hours...either that or you have to a real bad boy and blow your filter out. Sorry I not entirely made of money!.

Hellooo Squizzy. I think this topic was discussed before. I mean blowing out filters..not about how much money you have;)

One question...If you have a restriction guage/minder for your air filter, do you go by this when determining it is time to blow out your filter?

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Hellooo Squizzy. I think this topic was discussed before. I mean blowing out filters..not about how much money you have;)

Yes, its been discussed quite a bit...unfortunatley some people don't understand we simply have no option.

One question...If you have a restriction guage/minder for your air filter, do you go by this when determining it is time to blow out your filter?

Nope...well, I used to look after some Detroit 149's and the indicators were about as useful as a sock full off...... err....we found the filters could be well clagged with oil and soot when the hours got high between rebuild and they'd start chewing diesel...the indicator would be in the green but we'd change the filters and the exhaust temps would come down along with fuel consumption. So I guess I don't really trust them in all conditions.

Here when its really dusty we just check more often....4 times a day is not unusual in summer. Get out, bounce the filter on a tyre and then blow from the inside out. In the 248B I can tell when its bad because the engine just starts to loose its edge...the revs come up slower when you floor it. We tried oil foam reuseables but they were clogging up in no time and costing us more in cleaning. I use a degreasing gun cause of the larger nozzle and set the reg on the compressor about 35 psi.

Enough Hi-jackery

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
Keep in mind that we often end up in the absolute worst of conditions, and get paid well for it. :drinkup
Well enough that there seems to always be a new machine being delivered to one of our yards.

Sounds like us up here. The eastern side of WA state is considered a desert, it's sandy, but like I said not as bad as what you're dealing with in Cali. 6,000 hours is about as much as a dozer would get out of an undercarriage up here, seen some with 7,000-8,000 but those machines are basically waiting to fall apart.

alco

Wow, it sure would be nice to get that many hours out of an undercarriage. On average we get about 1000 to 1500 hours out of our undercarriages before everything needs to be replaced.

Brian

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
No kidding IIRC we got 4K out of our 8R and 6500 out of our JD1050. The JD spent 3 weeks running 24/6 on the beach and it was so shot I couldn't even get it to turn without digging in with one of the corner bits.

Pete so do you only work a night most of the time it looks like your in the dark?

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Pete so do you only work a night most of the time it looks like your in the dark?

That depends....
This week has been real busy for me.
I have been doing work at the Coachella Music and Arts Festival again this year. Maintaining about 10 reefer units and 5 fork lifts. This takes me about 3-4 hrs a day, gets me anywhere and everywhere the concert and the Ca$h isn't bad. I'm done by 9-10:00 am.
The reason for the night work is mostly due to the dust I make. As I move away from the freeway, the dust will be less noticeable. My side gig will also be finished in another week.
As long as I have 40 hrs of rental time, everyone is happy. They don't care when I work, as long as I have 40 hrs.
I can do 4 10's, day or night, what ever I want. it makes no difference. I could even go right now If I felt like it.

Attachments

• IMGP0308.JPG
    IMGP0308.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 2,038
  • IMGP0307.JPG
    IMGP0307.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 2,037

RollOver Pete

Occupation
:drinkup

Attachments

• IMGP0305.JPG
    IMGP0305.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 2,020
  • IMGP0306.JPG
    IMGP0306.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 2,019

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Here is a silly question for you.How do you get back to your truck at the end of your shift?It looks like you could be a mile away from your truck after 8 hours of backfilling.I don't breathe too well and I can't see me trying to walk all the way back to my pickup at the end of the day in that darn sand.I work alone a lot too,or used to when I was working.Ron G:)

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Thats the fun part! :D
When I did the project across the freeway two years ago, there were days where I actually spent 3-4 hrs alone moving my truck/tractor up. Thats all part of this type of job. With the temperature climbing well above 100 deg's, I try to plan my moves early in the morning before the sun comes up. One thing to always remember is to bring plenty of water with you. Red Wing Boots + sand = a very thirsty man.
And lets not forget about the snakes... :eek:
Just imagine, getting paid to exercise !

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Boy that is a nice deal ya got going, except for the exercise part. I think I would get a tow cable snag the loop with the rippers and pull my truck for the next move;) . That sand sure put a nice shine on that blade I’ve never got one looking that nice.