• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Taki TB290 being dumped when reaching 5000 hours

crazydane

I found a 2016 TB290 with only 1,100 hours on it that I was able to purchase for $55k. I think I did pretty good. There are no dings in the sheet metal anywhere. It was a rental unit (United Rentals) but I'm getting all the service records and other than worn/scraped off paint, it otherwise looks good and well maintained. I figured with only 1,100 hours, it couldn't have been abused THAT badly, or at least not enough for any permanent damage. It fired right up in 20 degree weather this morning.

Rubber tracks are in great condition, with what looks like 90% left.

IMG_5449.JPEG

Everything about it is nice and tight except for the QC coupler. It has a Wain Roy style TAG QC QC30 (1.75" pin), 24" TAG bucket and thumb. But I read, they tend to get loose real quick, which certainly appears to be the case with this one as well.

Now this particular QC is of this variety:

TAG_Adjust_a_Hook.jpeg

The bolts are both missing, but the seller said those do all out all the time. So maybe I just need to chase the threads and install new bolts to tighten it back up?

Before I run out and buy a Wain Roy style attachments, would it be wise to invest in a Werk-Brau spring loaded manual coupler and sell the TAG 24" bucket and QC30 coupler?

I'm assuming the TAG thumb would work fine with a QC manual coupler?

What other reasonably priced alternatives are there, or should I just stick with the Wain Roy style (which I guess is the standard QC that comes on the Takeuchi machines?).

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5450.JPEG
    IMG_5450.JPEG
    580.5 KB · Views: 10

Tags

Congrats on your purchase, looks like a good unit. Wain Roy style couplers are simple and don’t cost a ton of money. That’s why rental places use them, it gives a simple, cheap way to switch buckets. They get loose and sloppy, no way to stop it other than constantly fiddling with the fit between coupler and bucket. It all depends what you are planning on doing with the machine. The problem is that it gets expensive to switch the coupler and get new buckets.

crazydane

Fortunately the only bucket it came with is a 24" TAG. So that would be the only bucket that would need to be repurchased. And I would imagine I can get something for it and the TAG Wain Roy coupler?

The unit does appear to have more hours on it, but the display does show 1,100 and change. Maybe it was replaced? The seat is also pretty worn. But the tracks do look about right for 1,100 hours I think?

IMG_5452.JPEG

Unit is still at the seller and I haven't wired the balance of the funds, so let me see if I can get a hold of the service records and possibly negotiate the price down some more if the hours are incorrect.

Last edited:

crane operator

As Vetech63 pointed out, the hours are likely not right. Its a 2016 and lived at a united rentals. Do you really think it was at their location- or anywhere else for that matter- for the last 8 years with only a little over 1,000 hrs of use? Of course not.

The only other thing I noticed from the picture worth mentioning, is the paint missing in the circled yellow places. The bucket can't be up inside there, without removing the paint from the cylinders also. But a breaker can. And they've had a hose on the aux, vibrating around, to take that paint off. Like a breaker.

Do I know for sure that's what they've had on it, or for how many hours- of course not. But its not only had just this bucket on it.

None of this is to say that its a bad machine, its a 2016 so its "relatively" new. Just realize its come from a rental house with a breaker on it, not a little old lady that only drove it to church on sunday.

tak excavator 1.JPEG

Columbo

As Vetech63 pointed out, the hours are likely not right. Its a 2016 and lived at a united rentals. Do you really think it was at their location- or anywhere else for that matter- for the last 8 years with only a little over 1,000 hrs of use? Of course not.

The only other thing I noticed from the picture worth mentioning, is the paint missing in the circled yellow places. The bucket can't be up inside there, without removing the paint from the cylinders also. But a breaker can. And they've had a hose on the aux, vibrating around, to take that paint off. Like a breaker.

Do I know for sure that's what they've had on it, or for how many hours- of course not. But its not only had just this bucket on it.

None of this is to say that its a bad machine, its a 2016 so its "relatively" new. Just realize its come from a rental house with a breaker on it, not a little old lady that only drove it to church on sunday.

View attachment 303776
Good eye! I was wondering what caused the paint wear between the cylinders like that but a breaker makes sense. Good points for the OP.

crazydane

Appreciate the feedback! All good talking points in re-negotiating a price, or punt on this one and look at another one. I'm still waiting on a screenshot of the display showing the hours and the service history from United Rentals. I spent some time today looking at other TB290 listing near me on Facebook, as well as sold listings for this machine on Machinery Trader. I put together the following table comparing hours and seat wear (I know it means nothing as far the overall condition, but at least gives an idea if the hours listed are in the ballpark based in the picture alone).

comparison_chart.jpg

So clearly the hours indicated on the display are way off as well as the year (he said 2018 on the phone). He picks up a lot of units from rental places when they churn out older machines for nice fresh ones. I don't know if United auctions them off typically, or have agreements with "flippers". The place was in the woods in Chester Virginia on a 200 acre farm. The gets these machines in, fixed them up, and the list them for sale. He probably had about 30 or 40 machines, from 1.5 ton up to about 30 ton, all makes.

This particular unit was not actually listed for sale yet. What drew me to this place in the first place was actually another TB290 that was a 2017/2018 model (had rear camera from the pics and screen showing 1,100 hours). He was asking $59k for it and I offered $55k. I called him and he said he just sold it, but had this one also.

So I drove down there and looked at it and the other machines he had, but came back to this one. But based on all the feedback you guys have provided, as well as the chart above, I'm thinking of offering him $45k instead to see if he'll accept.

He has a helper there that fixes up what comes in to make them presentable for sale, which includes a good clean and replacing any broken or missing parts. This one he hasn't touched yet, so I'm thinking he'll be willing to negotiate since he's done nothing to it yet.

My guess is he probably paid United between $30 - $40k. I'd think he'd be happy flipping it for a $10k profit, give or take, without having to spend any time on it. Guess it won't hurt to ask.

crane operator

I find marketplace to be a little high on pricing, they are selling retail. Your research shows that. If you can buy the same machine on machinery trader for 30-40, why are you giving this guy 50?

All the ones on machinery trader for low 30's are the same machine that you are willing to give 50 for, and they are two years newer.

crazydane

So I know he got the TB290s from United Rentals, and when I look at their website where they sell these, I see the following pricing:

comparison_chart_united.jpg

I guess maybe those are "suggested" selling prices?

Like I said, he sold a nice 2018 with 1,100 hours for $59k. I think that was a fair price. This one:

sold290_01.jpg

sold290_02.jpg

But yes, once I get the service history and the true hours on the machine, I'll definitely lower my offer.

All that said, I don't currently see anything on machinery trader for less than $50k (except for 3 units around 6,000 hours), but again, I guess that asking price vs. selling price. Big difference apparently.

Last edited:

crane operator

I didn't look anything up on machinery trader, I was just going off your numbers in your graph. If this machine is priced right with what you see as current market, go for it. Just from your chart- it looked overpriced. Sorry if I made any confusion.

MG84

You can expect any of them from United Rentals to have lived a similar life work wise, they’ve likely all had a breaker on them, been run hard, and abused by inexperienced operators. The difference is how they were maintained, some United Rental branches are a lot better on maintenance then others. I once rented a low hour machine from them with under 500hrs and it had never been greased once. It squeaked so bad I could hardly run it, I greased all I could but some wouldn’t take grease from being run dry so long. Also whenever they replace the tracks on a rubber track machine they seem to buy the cheapest no name tracks they can find. I guess the thinking is people are going to destroy them in quick order anyways so why spend the money. On the flip side I sometimes get one that had been well greased, not too beaten up, dates and hrs written on all the filters etc, so it runs the gamut.

crazydane

Ha, so much for them talking about all their machines being meticulously maintained per the manufactures schedule. So if I was looking at a TB290 with a little over 4,000 hours on it from United, I should not assume the 37 gallons of hydraulic fluid was changed out at 4,000 hours? lol

This particular machine does have the dates written on all the filters (11/2023) for what its worth, so maybe in came from one of the "good" places.

Anyway, appreciate all the feedback. I have learned a lot since I joined here just a little while ago!

PeterG

Occupation
Contractor
If you grab the United Rental number off the machine, painted on the sides, any United Rentals Service Department can look up the service record. Four of my Takeuchi machines were rentals. The first machine was a TB016 from a rental store that I got dirt cheap. I did not know anything machines and I'm sure the dealer thought the machine engine was shot. To start the machine I've always had to add heat. The machine had 2000 hours on it when I bought it, but is still running strong on original engine and has 3800 hours. I bought a TL130 track loader from United Rental with 2000 hours on it. The engine service record showed a top end rebuild at 1800 hours. The engine still runs strong. It does have some hydraulic glitches on cold engine track movement until it gets warmed up, but it's no problem. I bought a TB135 that did not last due to dust in the engine from a bad air filter casing cap. Make sure the plastic casing is not broken as the clips can vibrate off. Lastly I bought a TB153FR sight unseen from another rental yard that runs great.

My advice is continue to look for good deals on machines, but allow an extra 5-10k to spend on it when you get it home for Dealer service and parts, even if you will do some of the work yourself. For me I change all the fluids if needed, replace the seat, and add attachments etc. I let the dealer handle anything real complicated.

That's a nice spread sheet Crazydane.

MG84

The other thing you have to realize about rental equipment, especially something larger like the mid-size excavators you are looking at, is the rental house isn’t always the one doing the maintenance. Often equipment is rented by one party for weeks or even months at a time, and it’s their responsibility to keep it greased, check the fluids, clean the air filter, etc. The rental house does the major maintenance, but things like oil changes could be way overdue if it’s been out on a long rental.

crazydane

@PeterG I called my local United Rentals and asked if they could send me the service record. He said they are not legally allowed to do that unfortunately. He did say they typically do the engine oil every 250 hours, but generally never do the hydraulic oil unless there an issue that requires it. They also mark the date and hours on the filters when they are replaced.

I was able to spot some dates on a couple of filters from the pics I took when I went saw this machine in person. Engine oil filter: (10-23-23)

IMG_5445.JPEG

Fuel filter also appears to have been changed on 10-23-23:

IMG_5443.JPEG

Hydraulic oil doesn't look too terrible dark in the sight glass above. Looks like the windshield liquid pump has been replaced recently as well. So maybe this came out of a reputable location?

@MG84 very good point about it being out for extended periods at a time with the maintenance falling on the renter, which I bet means it won't get done most of the time.

Last edited:

PeterG

Occupation
Contractor
I called my local dealer and tried to get info based on the serial number and equipment number you provided. Not very helpful there. But he did offer the hours on the machine at 3,633 hours. So that is confusing now. Told me to call your dealer at 800-272-1146.