• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tree Huggers The Worst

stretch

Occupation
gopher
I agree with you totally humboldt deere. My Dad and I aren't by any means a major tree hugger. We love trees and all of that. (One part is because that's how we make our money, installing and pruning them!!) But we also like to see our trees and other tree live. Often too many times we see toped tree around here, which is illegal to do here on city owned land, so many times we have to report it.

And as far as stories go, I don't have anything major. Dad might have seen some crazy stuff, but so far nothing from me.

As a home builder, we always save the nicest and the biggest ones. However, I've no good stories to tell here. Just the usual complaints from the neighbors.

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
An interesting thing came in the mail today, from an individual concerned with responsible forest stewardship, and was sympathetic to both sides of the issue, as he stated he was both a "tree hugger" and a "tree whacker".
http://www.forestdan.com
http://www.oswa.org/
I haven't checked the site out yet, not sure how I made it on to his list, but the brochure was interesting. Pulling a logging arch....with a Volvo station wagon!
alan627b

CatYelloBlooded

Occupation
Shop Mechanic
I was in school this last summer and there was some sort of 'go green' protest going on with the usual banners and hippies. They were all over the sidewalks around a jobsite pouring into the street. I laughed when i saw some almost get into the traffic. Anyways, i drive a 97 dodge dually 12v cummins that is, lets say, out of adjustment on the fuel settings. It has twin 7" stacks in the bed. That being said, anyways i was coming past these protesters and i had to actually almost come to a stop due to their blocking traffic entering the jobsite. When i got a clear path finally i took off in third and i could no longer see the protesters in my mirror from all the unburnt fuel they hate so much that i cropdusted them with. Talk about a rewarding feeling--- It's a good thing i was leaving though as they all got quite upset from it. I noticed as i left i had crowd of laborers cheering me on from the jobsite. Most fun i've had in a while.

Maybe that was wrong of me? Nawwwwwwww!

Wolf

dually 12v cummins

great story 'bout you and the smokin' dually 12v cummins. that is hilarious. sounds like you fixed 'em good. And I like the part about the laborers cheering you. Why were they protesting that jobsite anyhow?

stretch

Occupation
gopher
I haven't checked the site out yet, not sure how I made it on to his list, but the brochure was interesting. Pulling a logging arch....with a Volvo station wagon!
alan627b

Ummm...Volvo cars are built by Ford now...and don't try Ford backhoes, they're CNH now.

We keep getting brochures and calls from RFK Jr. telling us to save Alaska or something like that.

Let's keep this one going! :usa

CatYelloBlooded

Occupation
Shop Mechanic
great story 'bout you and the smokin' dually 12v cummins. that is hilarious. sounds like you fixed 'em good. And I like the part about the laborers cheering you. Why were they protesting that jobsite anyhow?

Well, Wolf, I only drove by the site twice. It was a hospital expansion that involved demolishing a park. They were building a new larger park a few blocks over to replace it but we all know that's never good enough. I doubt these protesters ever thought about how the new technology brought in with a bigger or newer hospital might benefit them someday. . I wonder what the predicted lifespan is if they start living in caves and destroy all industry like they want to? I'd bet they wouldn't like to hear that number. That was definitely memorable and i'd loved to have someone with me with a camera recording it. They enrage me and i love that stuff.

Wolf

It was a hospital expansion that involved demolishing a park. They were building a new larger park a few blocks over to replace it but we all know that's never good enough.

Yeah, they prolly had to take out a couple of old trees in demo'ing the old park--maybe some buildings the protestors remembered from their childhood. Boo-hoo-hoo.

You did the right thing. Any more good stories like that? Love it.

OneWelder

I must lead a sheltered life , I thought these protests had stopped with the last nuclear power plant built. To my knowledge no protests around here (N.H.) once they stopped the second phase of Seabrook (nuclear power plant)

stretch

Occupation
gopher
I must lead a sheltered life , I thought these protests had stopped with the last nuclear power plant built. To my knowledge no protests around here (N.H.) once they stopped the second phase of Seabrook (nuclear power plant)

And now even Seabrook's gone! And ConnYankee and Yankee Rowe. But strangely not Millstone, which is right on Long Island Sound! I'm surprised the treehuggers haven't been all over that with all these little mechanical problems they've been having!

Temu

Tree hugger joke...I couldn't resist

While walking through Golden Gate Park in San Francisco , a man came upon another man hugging a tree with his ear firmly against the tree. Seeing this he inquired, "Just out of curiosity, what the heck are you doing?" "I'm listening to the music of the tree," the other man replied.
"You've gotta be kiddin' me." "No, would you like to give it a try?"
Understandably curious, the man says, "Well, OK..." So he wrapped his arms around the tree & pressed his ear up against it. With this, the other guy slapped a pair of handcuffs on him, took his wallet, jewelry, car keys, then stripped him naked and left.
Two hours later another nature lover strolled by, saw this guy handcuffed to the tree stark naked, and asked, "What the heck happened to you?"

He told the guy the whole terrible story about how he got there.
When he finished telling his story, the other guy shook his head in sympathy, walked around behind him, kissed him gently behind the ear and said, "This just ain't gonna be your day, cupcake:eek:

humboldt deere

Occupation
general building and engineering contractor
While walking through Golden Gate Park in San Francisco , a man came upon another man hugging a tree with his ear firmly against the tree. Seeing this he inquired, "Just out of curiosity, what the heck are you doing?" "I'm listening to the music of the tree," the other man replied.
"You've gotta be kiddin' me." "No, would you like to give it a try?"
Understandably curious, the man says, "Well, OK..." So he wrapped his arms around the tree & pressed his ear up against it. With this, the other guy slapped a pair of handcuffs on him, took his wallet, jewelry, car keys, then stripped him naked and left.
Two hours later another nature lover strolled by, saw this guy handcuffed to the tree stark naked, and asked, "What the heck happened to you?"

He told the guy the whole terrible story about how he got there.
When he finished telling his story, the other guy shook his head in sympathy, walked around behind him, kissed him gently behind the ear and said, "This just ain't gonna be your day, cupcake:eek:
I'm gonna stay away from tree huggers and golden gate park.:ban

mikef87

Occupation
owner/operator/mechanic/laborer/truck driver

About 10 years ago I did a job in Conn. The contractor I was working far had a laydown yard at the nuclear power plant. Well One day we came in and these morons handcuffed themselves to the gate. The security came and swung the gates open. The side of the road dropped off so the knuckleheads were hanging from the fence by the handcuffs. The stupid things people do to try and stop something that they cant.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
My biggest chuckle I get with tree huggers and eco-anarchist is their reasoning that humans can and are make a lasting impression on this earth.

Let's face it, if all humans were to disappear tomorrow, all of our buildings, roads, equipment, pollution, etc would eventually return back to the basic elements they were made from "ashes to ashes, dust to dust". Granted this could take 1,000's of years, but in a cosmic time frame, this is just a small blip on the timeline. There was actually a show on the History Channel about just such a senario.

What happens if you leave a piece of unpainted steel outside - it rusts right? Has anyone seen an abandonded house that has not been cared for in years? The roof falls in, trees start growing through it and it becomes a varmit condo - many years later it is all but erased from the landscape. Ever seen any old roads that have been abandonded for years and have trees growing through the asphalt? Even concrete and asphalt will break down over time due to erosion from water - ever been to the Grand Canyon? We keep nature at bay, we do not have total control over it.

We as humans can make the earth uninhabitable for ourselves, not for every living creature. Even a nuclear cotastrophe can't kill all of the roaches.

Now I am not one to clear every acre and put in a parking lot. We have to be responsible with our development but being responsible does not mean we do not move forward.

The way I see these Enviro-wackos are they are not truly for the environment, it is a "religion" like alan said. They use "saving the environment" as a reason to be criminals and anarchists. If they truly believed in saving the environment then why do they burn heavy equipment and the like, creating air pollution and in time "fuel the fire" of further industrialism by creating a need for replacement parts.:beatsme It seems quite hypocritical to me.:cool2

bear

Occupation
Math, Physics, keeping out of trouble and doing od
I had a group chain themselves to the front bucket of a backhoe i was operating down around Cumberland Falls. Went and told the foreman what i was going to do about it, he liked the idea. (talking a foreman into some of my ideas aint the best thing in the world) I went back to the hoe fired her up raised the front loader as high as she would go tilted it forward alittle bit shut her down and walked over to the office. Did i mention they had thrown thier keys away? and they got bounced some on the way up? At fisrt some very P/O'd hippies. later after about 16 hrs of watching us go about our bisiness and 98 degree heat and 100% humidity they were some sad lookin critters. I invited em back the next day but they never showed :beatsme

OneWelder

Second unfinished Seabrook plant is being or has been torn down. They started refueling first plant in January so should be back on line, or about to come back on line.

stretch

Occupation
gopher
Second unfinished Seabrook plant is being or has been torn down. They started refueling first plant in January so should be back on line, or about to come back on line.

Ooops...I was thinking of Maine Yankee.

The treehuggers (Connecticut) also managed to keep I-291 from coming from its terminus at I-91 in Windsor to the West Hartford/Farmington line where the "Neverpass" crosses I-84 and starts Route 9.

[-Agent-]

COPPA
Occupation
Student
I had a group chain themselves to the front bucket of a backhoe i was operating down around Cumberland Falls. Went and told the foreman what i was going to do about it, he liked the idea. (talking a foreman into some of my ideas aint the best thing in the world) I went back to the hoe fired her up raised the front loader as high as she would go tilted it forward alittle bit shut her down and walked over to the office. Did i mention they had thrown thier keys away? and they got bounced some on the way up? At fisrt some very P/O'd hippies. later after about 16 hrs of watching us go about our bisiness and 98 degree heat and 100% humidity they were some sad lookin critters. I invited em back the next day but they never showed :beatsme

That sounds like they wanted it. :cool2

Ray Welsh

Banned
Well put indeed. I second that.

Some of the worst "damage" to earthmoving gear that I have ever seen was done by professionals in the same industry.
Hydraulic rams removed from dozers and scrapers, batteries and radiators etc etc removed for resale. Years back, earthmovers wouldn't steal from each other but times have changed.
How about the armoured D11s the jews are using to remove the houses and scatter the occupants in invaded Palestine?? Do any one of you anti tree huggers wish to comment on that??
The watch-word today should be balance between industry and nature. If we concrete everything over, our biodiversity will be stuffed and so will human existance. For believers in gods, My advice is to pray.......Fast!!!..........C ya..........Ray

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Some of the worst "damage" to earthmoving gear that I have ever seen was done by professionals in the same industry.
Hydraulic rams removed from dozers and scrapers, batteries and radiators etc etc removed for resale. Years back, earthmovers wouldn't steal from each other but times have changed.

I agree that times have changed but there is a big difference between removing batteries, radiators and hydraulic cylinders and making a manual of how to destroy engines, final drives, hydraulic systems and burn equipment that we (and I am assuming you) make a living with.

How about the armoured D11s the jews are using to remove the houses and scatter the occupants in invaded Palestine?? Do any one of you anti tree huggers wish to comment on that??

That is a political issue that should be discussed in another forum other than this one. And no I am not dodging the issue, the Jewish/Palestinian conflict has nothing to do with people who want to destroy our equipment just because it is equipment. This forum is about heavy equipment issues and this thread is about "tree huggers" that want to destroy our lively hood. The only similarity between the two issues is there is heavy equipment involved.

Last edited: