• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Upfitting an International 4700

MG84

I found some literature about the MT600 series Allisons, said they are rated for 250hp/~650lbft and a GVWR/GCWR of 73,000lbs. I’m not even close to any of those numbers so hopefully if I treat it right it will provide good service. Also the list of approved fluids was quite extensive, basically anything from ATF to hydraulic fluid depending on application and conditions. I’ll look into a good mechanical temp gauge for the trans, is there a port/bung on the transmission or pan already or do I need to modify something?

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
The truck I drive, (1987 IH4900) during harvest has a DT-466 and MT-643 transmission. I'm always just about 70K hauling out of fields to the elevator usually above 80 degrees ambient temperature. Never a problem over the several years I've done this. 12 to 13.5 hour days usually.

20220927_084956.jpg20221010_113333.jpg

Tyler d4c

The truck I drive, (1987 IH4900) during harvest has a DT-466 and MT-643 transmission. I'm always just about 70K hauling out of fields to the elevator usually above 80 degrees ambient temperature. Never a problem over the several years I've done this. 12 to 13.5 hour days usually.

View attachment 292767View attachment 292768
I'm going out on a limb and saying that your in a flat grounded area

1693TA

Occupation
I'm going out on a limb and saying that your in a flat grounded area
Yes, pretty flat here and just corn, or beans. Licensed to 64K but loading from a field they allow a 10% overage without penalty if from field to elevator or storage bins.

Tyler d4c

Yes, pretty flat here and just corn, or beans. Licensed to 64K but loading from a field they allow a 10% overage without penalty if from field to elevator or storage bins.
Here in the hills a tri axle dump legal for 73280 guys are crying if they don't have a 550.
Dad always laughs at a tandem dump that the power plants had with a dt466 and a auto that every time it was used needed new transmission fluid because it would cook it.
Just goes to show what is perfectly OK in on place sure isn't good for another

MG84

Driving up a hill with the converter unlocked is not a good idea.

Some people need to drive a 671 powered class 8 truck in their life before they can drive anything else.
So when you say driving up hill with the converter unlocked is bad, what about when the transmission is in 1st or 2nd gear? There is no lockup on the MT643 except in 3rd and 4th I believe?

Another question, is manually downshifting the transmission to hold back a load on a steep hill OK?

cfherrman

Slight note I'm used to ht 750s which are more heavy duty.

If the converter is not locked it creates tons of heat, which is fine you just need to watch the temps.

If you keep the rpms under the engine redline and the trans redline it's fine, the 750's is 2500 rpm. You will know if the converter is locked and you will get tons of engine breaking. The governor should do something if like unlocking the converter if it's going to over speed. Always just watch the temps.

If you can find an old manual it will have the shift strategy in it. The 750 is pretty cool it's like u1/L1/u2/L2/L3/L4/L5

In my experience (750) the upper gears dont engine break that much when left in 5th.

MG84

Sounds like I need to get a temp gauge installed ASAP and probably a massive external trans cooler. Hitch is finished (more on that later) and did some towing testing this morning. Total GCW of about 30K, truck handled it fine but as expected really slowed down on the big hills. One particular hill that's about 2mi long and quite steep it dropped all the way down to first, kept the RPMs about 2500 in 1st till the top. Engine temp climbed to a little over 210*, engine fan fully engaged, outside air temp was only maybe 70*. For reference my F700 with a 185hp 7.8L/5+2 pulls my dozer up that hill in the high side of second, probably about the same speed but grossing 33K. Gonna take some getting used to, hope the auto trans wasn't a mistake.

cfherrman

You might not need a cooler, just will have to see.

With autos v manuals you really have to decide with service and repair cost, which autos are always more (2x). I would guess in your service it probably doesn't matter, might be better off with an auto with all these cheese drivers now days.

I really like them especially with the service I need them for (pulling wells)

1693TA

Occupation
Here in the hills a tri axle dump legal for 73280 guys are crying if they don't have a 550.
Dad always laughs at a tandem dump that the power plants had with a dt466 and a auto that every time it was used needed new transmission fluid because it would cook it.
Just goes to show what is perfectly OK in on place sure isn't good for another
When I ceased driving the old 57 Mack daily in 1999, it still had it's original 170hp "Thermodyne" engine that is non turbocharged and it did just fine for me. It's a truck with manual steering, manual windows, no air conditioning, two stick transmission, and two heaters; the second of which I installed to the left of setting column behind the dash. (alright I'm a puss there but them sonsabitches are cold on the feet in winter and don't have good defrosters).

Still have the truck and when it comes back out it will be just a bit different under the sheet metal.

1693TA

Occupation
LOL - The 70K gross and DT 466 made me cringe. Our L10 and Allison struggles pulling our D3 on our hills.
The spare truck has an L10 and Super 10 trans. It does acceptably well also. Nobody really likes that truck citing that transmission needing an overhaul. Syncronizer in rear is very weak. Nothing is fast, nor abused, so works well. Cousin is the owner and all are family that help out. I'm the distant one but get along well.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
The spare truck has an L10 and Super 10 trans. It does acceptably well also. Nobody really likes that truck citing that transmission needing an overhaul. Syncronizer in rear is very weak. Nothing is fast, nor abused, so works well. Cousin is the owner and all are family that help out. I'm the distant one but get along well.

I wasn't picking. We have rolling hills that our L10 and 4sp auto just doesn't do that well on pulling anything really. However it makes a great on site truck.

PeterG

Occupation
Contractor
Ok, so mine is a MT643 also to the DT-466. When empty or light, I just put in D and go. When fully loaded I start in 1, and work my way up. When loaded, going up hills I need to use 3 & 2. I watch the RPM's and speed and just go slow. I don't have a temperature gauge. I do in my Kenworth and pick up truck, but this all about slow go and low torque, low rpms. If needed, I can put in the 2-speed low. Truck is licensed at 38,000 GVW. I don't see how its possible to pull 70,0000, he must have a different ratio. I like the truck, but it's not for the highway.

Attachments

• 20230821_092518_resized.jpg
    20230821_092518_resized.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 20230821_092458_resized.jpg
    20230821_092458_resized.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230821_092558_resized.jpg
    20230821_092558_resized.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 15
  • International Dump Truck.jpg
    International Dump Truck.jpg
    580.8 KB · Views: 12

MG84

Ok, so mine is a MT643 also to the DT-466. When empty or light, I just put in D and go. When fully loaded I start in 1, and work my way up. When loaded, going up hills I need to use 3 & 2. I watch the RPM's and speed and just go slow. I don't have a temperature gauge. I do in my Kenworth and pick up truck, but this all about slow go and low torque, low rpms. If needed, I can put in the 2-speed low. Truck is licensed at 38,000 GVW. I don't see how its possible to pull 70,0000, he must have a different ratio. I like the truck, but it's not for the highway.
Thanks for the info, and the pic of the MT643 Operating Tips is also very useful.

You might not need a cooler, just will have to see.

With autos v manuals you really have to decide with service and repair cost, which autos are always more (2x). I would guess in your service it probably doesn't matter, might be better off with an auto with all these cheese drivers now days.

I really like them especially with the service I need them for (pulling wells)
I'll probably be the only driver as none of my help have CDLs, mostly I work by myself anyways. As for the service costs, I figure replacing a few automatic transmissions is cheaper than replacing my knee lol. I'm only 39 but driving nothing but manual transmissions for the past 25+ yrs is starting to take a toll. I want to be proactive so I'm not all hobbled up and worn out in another 25yrs...

Last question on the Auto trans for yall (at least for now), is about adding a temperature sensor. Basically this is what I'm working with, this is viewing the pan from the passenger side:
IMG_0852sm.jpg
On top we have a sensor of some sort and next to that the line running to either the cooler or filter (both are in the same loop, can't remeber which is first.) Then on the pan itself what appers to be both a large and small drain plug? If they are both drain plugs my plan at the moment is to drill and tap the larger one to accept a temperature probe. Should be the easiest and cleanest install, just not sure if it being only 4" from the exhaust pipe will mess with my readings. I plan to use a mechanical style gauge with a capillary tube. Thoughts?

Last but not least, here are a couple pics of the finished hitch:
IMG_0850sm.jpg

IMG_0856sm.jpg

Tyler d4c

Driving up a hill with the converter unlocked is not a good idea.

Some people need to drive a 671 powered class 8 truck in their life before they can drive anything else.
I couldn't say how they where driving it at the time he was a mobile maintenance welder who had a cdl and he was learning as he went. They where removing some sorta air sampling stations on top of the mountains around Johnstown about every road they where going up is a hill climb. This all taken place 10 or 15 years before I was a thought so early 80s some time