• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Volvo L90E harsh shifting

Occupation
Mobile diesel mechanic
Hi guys.
I have a Volvo L90E here which has harsh shifting between gears especially 1st - 2nd I have a manual I down loaded but the procedure for check the pressures is a bit light on for details and it has no specs. but I managed to check the main pressure and I got 275psi then I checked lube pressure and I got 25psi then I checked converter pressure and I got 65psi. I’m not sure if any of this is in spec or not and when I checked the clutch pressures following the manual I got
1st - 150psi
2nd - 200psi
3rd - 0psi
4th - 0psi
Can anybody help me figure out what this all means?

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Lets start with the simplest thing. On your lever carrier is a springy button on a rubber cushion by your horn button. Pull that switch up. Make sure it is not sticking. That's your manual kickdown. When it gets stuck, you start in first and don't shift till you tach out. Just like passing gear. You'll never reach 4th gear either. Let us know what you find.

Occupation
Mobile diesel mechanic
Lets start with the simplest thing. On your lever carrier is a springy button on a rubber cushion by your horn button. Pull that switch up. Make sure it is not sticking. That's your manual kickdown. When it gets stuck, you start in first and don't shift till you tach out. Just like passing gear. You'll never reach 4th gear either. Let us know what you find.
Looks ok mate and 4th gear works

Occupation
Mobile diesel mechanic
Ok done so it doesn’t seam to make any difference what setting I have that APS thing on it doesn’t change anything

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
I'll find the schematic for the kickdown button. I'm thinking that we have a short. At what RPM does it shift? Is it a harsh shift across the board or just 1-2. Watch the display panel, it says what gear you're in and what gear you've pre-selected. What gear are you starting out in? This is important.

Occupation
Mobile diesel mechanic
I'll find the schematic for the kickdown button. I'm thinking that we have a short. At what RPM does it shift? Is it a harsh shift across the board or just 1-2. Watch the display panel, it says what gear you're in and what gear you've pre-selected. What gear are you starting out in? This is important.
1-2 is harsh but mostly harsh on all gear changes going down

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
That's the way it should be. At what rpm is she shifting at? Are you seeing road speed? Are you seeing engine speed? If we lose one of the inputs, that could cause delayed shift.