• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2020 Deere 333g hydraulic oil overheating

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I am betting it was engine coolant. I am not a Deere guy, but I don't think that they monitor oil temp. I would leave it parked until they pick it up. Last thing you need now is to create more problems with overheating it.

Billyg371

I am betting it was engine coolant. I am not a Deere guy, but I don't think that they monitor oil temp. I would leave it parked until they pick it up. Last thing you need now is to create more problems with overheating it.
Yes, that’s the plan. They are picking it up Monday morning. It looks like it was engine coolant. I’m surprised they don’t have an engine temp or oil temp. Hopefully they can figure it out quick. Only bought the thing to clear my land.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
If the fan stopped, make sure they cut open the filter to inspect it. Make sure they save it for you to view. If it is clean, then the most likely culprit may be a piece of plastic shaving from the making of the reservoir jamming the fan control. If it is full of metal.....:(

They should also perform a charge pump pressure and flow test to make sure the charge pump is sound.

Billyg371

If the fan stopped, make sure they cut open the filter to inspect it. Make sure they save it for you to view. If it is clean, then the most likely culprit may be a piece of plastic shaving from the making of the reservoir jamming the fan control. If it is full of metal.....:(

They should also perform a charge pump pressure and flow test to make sure the charge pump is sound.
Yeah I’m not sure what the fan stopping would have to do with a filter? Can you explain? Let it cool all the way down yesterday to move it and the fan was spinning as it should. I’m not sure what I can check. I do have a temp gun but unsure on what/where to shoot.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Temperature gun will not help with determining the cause of the fan stopping. The fan is stopping because there is debris getting into the fan solenoid causing the fan to stop. The fan should never stop turning, no matter how cold the engine or hydraulic system. The reason for cutting open and inspecting the filter is that the oil that leaves the fan motor goes to the hydrostatic charge filter. So, cutting open the filter to inspect it is to help find a clue as to the cause of the fan not turning.

Based on your serial number, you have high flow, and the 333G's have high flow pump issues. Inspecting the filter may reveal a pending failure. Let's hope that is not the case. Your machine should be new enough to have the more robust high flow pump.

Billyg371

Temperature gun will not help with determining the cause of the fan stopping. The fan is stopping because there is debris getting into the fan solenoid causing the fan to stop. The fan should never stop turning, no matter how cold the engine or hydraulic system. The reason for cutting open and inspecting the filter is that the oil that leaves the fan motor goes to the hydrostatic charge filter. So, cutting open the filter to inspect it is to help find a clue as to the cause of the fan not turning.

Based on your serial number, you have high flow, and the 333G's have high flow pump issues. Inspecting the filter may reveal a pending failure. Let's hope that is not the case. Your machine should be new enough to have the more robust high flow pump.
I understand. I wasn’t sure if the fan was electrical or hydraulic. That makes sense. Hopefully they can figure it out. Dealer has been good. They said they’re going to make it right.

Billyg371

Little update, dealer picked up last Tuesday and called on Friday. Tech said the fan was spinning about 500 rpm less than it should be at full RPM. They are replacing the fan, and other necessary components. I will get an exact list today. Once they replace that they will test and see if issue is resolved. Also sending a sample of the hyd oil per John Deere.

8V71

I’m sure they already have one going scene Deere is asking for oil samples, But make sure they have a DTAC case going on it. And if you want to keep them on their toes ask for a copy of it. Reading those usually can give you an idea of competence level of the Tech/Techs involved in the repair.

Billyg371

I’m sure they already have one going scene Deere is asking for oil samples, But make sure they have a DTAC case going on it. And if you want to keep them on their toes ask for a copy of it. Reading those usually can give you an idea of competence level of the Tech/Techs involved in the repair.
I will ask. Just asked what was being done and the tech replied “I’m installing the truflow fan system upgrade”

Billyg371

Spoke with tech more and there is no dtac case yet. Deere has not asked for the samples. I may have mis heard him. He basically said dtac is a last ditch if he is stumped. Right now they’re waiting on the fan parts from Deere and they will go from there.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
But make sure they have a DTAC case going on it. And if you want to keep them on their toes ask for a copy of it.

I don't think any dealer would supply a copy of the actual case. I wouldn't.

I will ask. Just asked what was being done and the tech replied “I’m installing the truflow fan system upgrade”
The latest upgrade is a different fan motor and fan blade. It will raise the fan speed from approximately 2500 rpm to 3000 rpm. That is providing that the charge pump is putting out. They should have flow tested the pump to be sure it is sound.

Deere has not asked for the samples.

Also, they should have cut open and inspected the filter as well as performed an oil sample (I would not wait for Deere to ask for this).

Before I shut it down I hopped out to check the fan and it was not turning.

New fan motor and fan blade might be a temporary fix if they do not find the source of the fan stopping.

Billyg371

I don't think any dealer would supply a copy of the actual case. I wouldn't.

The latest upgrade is a different fan motor and fan blade. It will raise the fan speed from approximately 2500 rpm to 3000 rpm. That is providing that the charge pump is putting out. They should have flow tested the pump to be sure it is sound.

Also, they should have cut open and inspected the filter as well as performed an oil sample (I would not wait for Deere to ask for this).

New fan motor and fan blade might be a temporary fix if they do not find the source of the fan stopping.
I believe they ordered the fan parts due to it being about 500rpm off of what it should be. Tech also said he is testing the charge pump this week just like you said to make sure it’s putting out. Not sure if they cut the filter. The fan stopped only once. Not sure why. Waiting to hear from tech to see what he finds on the charge pump. All I know is that they sold me the machine with the new mulching head and said it works as it should and it didn’t. Hopefully it has the more robust pump in it already and it isn’t failing but if it is they will take care of it. I hope.

Billyg371

Which is why they should be paying the bill for all of this.
Correct! And so far I haven’t heard a peep about them not covering the repairs. They have been great to work with honestly. I think they are short handed on experienced techs which is understandable in today’s world. The tech working my machine also is the field tech and he has been slammed with warranty work so I understand.

Billyg371

Spoke with the service manager today, they are replacing the fan, fan hydraulic motor, relief valve and something else I can’t quite remember. All 4 things are well documented with John Deere as being issues. Unfortunately parts are backordered and won’t be in until the end of the month and that’s if the date doesn’t get pushed back more. But they are indeed covering everything and deliver it back to me with a full tank of fuel. Can’t really complain with their service. Glad they are getting this handled so I can get back to clearing my land to start our dream home and farm! Thanks everyone for the knowledge. I’ll keep updates coming when I get them.

Billyg371

Well guys the machine was delivered back to me today. Ran it for 30 mins and WOT and the hydraulics came up to 220. I’m at a loss on what to do. They installed the updated fan, said they tested everything out and had no issues. Operates as it should. Well I cut some small brush down and it was getting hot. Coolant temp came up to 190 one time but then dropped to 175 and stayed there. I’m going to call them tomorrow to figure out what I should do. I solely bought this machine to mulch and if I have to stop every 30 minutes it will be a pain in the ass. Temps here today were 65 degrees. Feeling let down and bummed is an understatement.