• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580c throttle lever not staying set

PaulMckee

I have a Case 580c backhoe. I replaced the brake master cylinders, which required the removal of the dash console that required removal of the shuttle and throttle levers/assmbly. After reassembling the console and shuttle/throttle levers and beginning to test my brakes, I noticed that the throttle lever was loose and not staying set. Of course this caused the machine to die without either holding the throttle lever in place or keeping the foot petal pressed enough. I have surfed the web and this forum over several times and not able to find any help on this. And I’ve searched the Operators/Service manuals without any discovery. There must be something that keeps resistance on the throttle lever, but I’m not seeing it anywhere in the linkage. And this was working fine before I removed/disassembled the console/shuttle/throttle to do the master cylinder replacement, so I’ve introduced the problem somewhere. Your expertise is welcome. Thanks!

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
techdrawing-assembly-D45CB6E9-8EBF-E111-9FCE-005056875BD6.png
Tighten nut #6 to put tension on disc #5 that is what holds the throttle lever in place.

PaulMckee

Thanks Coy! Seeing and hearing your description is bringing back some memory during disassembly. :/) That console is a bear to navigate. Any best practices for accessing that area? Can it be reached by removing the instrument cluster? Thanks again.

Oh, I'm also curious where you located that diagram... service manual? It's resolution is too small for me to see the finer details and reference numbers. Thanks.

redranch

If you ever have to take the master out again this is how i did it when i had a C. Take a hole saw and drill a hole on the side of the console across from the master. You can remove it that way, then just plug the hole for next time. Saves a lot with out taking out the console.

PaulMckee

Thanks all. I'm not able to get access through the cluster hole. Still a bit baffled how I disassembled this coming off. But at least the problem is identified... just a matter of access.

PaulMckee

Good idea @redranch In hindsight, for sure the better idea. It was a beast.

I did finally get the throttle resistance mechanism reconnected. And in doing so, understood why I didn’t remember disassembly… because I didn’t. When I removed the throttle lever, it popped free. I remember hearing a pop, but not knowing what it was.

My rpm gauge is no longer working and is pegged out on the high side. Curious now about what may have happened there. I’ll search and post accordingly on that topic.

Thanks again all for comments and this community for willingness to share knowledge and experiences.

AGoebel

Paul,

How did you get throttle tension hooked back up. Going through same thing. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.