• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 301.8 final drive lifetime seal leaking

HomegrownRepair

Hello everyone, this is my first post ever here but have found lots of knowledge in these threads so since i couldn't find anything on this topic, figured I would start my own. I have here a CAT 301.8 SN: BFA06004 that has a leaking lifetime seal. I have removed the final drive from the machine, and disassembled the valve block side of the drive. Flipped it to the cover side and found a large snap ring holding the cover on(cat service manual said remove twelve bolts and the cover comes off, yet sure it does :rolleyes:). i have removed the snap ring, and tried to tap the cover from the side to get it to pop off. It will not move. I did all my google research and youtube research, and i do not have a set screw in the side for the internal wire style retainer. But i still cannot seem to get this cover to come off. Any ideas? all help is appreciated!

HomegrownRepair

Yeah, that was my next thought, however I am guessing that this has been done before because some buggered up the threads in both drain holes. Might have to add a new cover to the parts list too. :(