• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat D3C sproket hub

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
I've fabricated large wrenches for sprocket nuts out of thick Cat cutting edges before.

Gas axe a single-hex ring wrench shape out of a large chunk of DH-2 cutting edge steel, with a tapered handle (like a slogging wrench) - slide a chunk of heavy wall pipe over the end of the handle - and "bobs your uncle", you've got a non-genuine Cat sprocket tool!

The DH-2 cutting edge steel is boron steel, it's as good as tool steel. You don't need new cutting edge, old cutting edge that isn't worn badly in thickness, works just fine.

Poor boys do what poor boys gotta do to keep the tractor running at low cost, and not contribute to Cat executive perks!
Remember, this is a company that made 26.5% profit on sales, last quarter! I'd like that kind of return on my money!

Drag racer

I've fabricated large wrenches for sprocket nuts out of thick Cat cutting edges before.

Gas axe a single-hex ring wrench shape out of a large chunk of DH-2 cutting edge steel, with a tapered handle (like a slogging wrench) - slide a chunk of heavy wall pipe over the end of the handle - and "bobs your uncle", you've got a non-genuine Cat sprocket tool!

The DH-2 cutting edge steel is boron steel, it's as good as tool steel. You don't need new cutting edge, old cutting edge that isn't worn badly in thickness, works just fine.

Poor boys do what poor boys gotta do to keep the tractor running at low cost, and not contribute to Cat executive perks!
Remember, this is a company that made 26.5% profit on sales, last quarter! I'd like that kind of return on my money!
You said that right my lock nut is spanner.20230502_162539.jpg

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
I've made a lot of "tooling" over the years to fit a purpose. Can't afford to purchase something very expensive to use only once although a different story if can be utilized elsewhere. I've made something several times only to cut it apart to use on another job, or task; then have to make the damned thing again.....

Welder Dave

Can something like a dull or flat end chisel/punch be used to tighten the nut? A tool could be made but would require more precision than a hex wrench. Could cut a steel plate to just fit over it with 4 indents a little over size and carefully grind the indents to fit the notches. Key stock to fit the notches welded to a thick outer ring could also work.

Last edited:

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
For that notched nut that dragracer pictured, you do need an adjustable C-hook wrench - which can often be hired or borrowed. Dragracer, I'd lend you my Proto C-hook adjustable wrench if you were closer!

When I spoke of gas-axing a wrench for sprocket nuts, I was talking about the regular shape hex nuts as found on the bigger tractors.

Last edited:

Welder Dave

Maybe you could rent a hook tool. Looks pretty pricey for a 1 time use deal. Curious what the torque setting for the nut is? If it wasn't super high not sure why a blunt chisel or punch wouldn't work. Motorcycle shocks are smaller but use similar style nuts. Everybody uses a punch to adjust them. There are 2 as the 2nd one acts like a lock nut. They can be pretty tight sometimes.

Drag racer

Maybe you could rent a hook tool. Looks pretty pricey for a 1 time use deal. Curious what the torque setting for the nut is? If it wasn't super high not sure why a blunt chisel or punch wouldn't work. Motorcycle shocks are smaller but use similar style nuts. Everybody uses a punch to adjust them. There are 2 as the 2nd one acts like a lock nut. They can be pretty tight sometimes.

Mcrafty1

Occupation
Earth work
So the holdup to putting this dozer back together is a spanner wrench? I'd bite the bullet and buy the Cat wrench, or an equivalent if one is to be had, put the tractor together, go to work with the machine and advertise the spanner for rent........but I wouldn't loose track of it it, you may be needing it yourself again to go back into the final. Every time you use it ,it will become cheaper to own. JMHO.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
OTC 7307 is the original C-hook wrench, this company in St Peters, MO, seems to be the cheapest on pricing for the genuine article.

There are Taiwanese copies of the OTC C-hook wrench, their brands are Maxclaw and Licota. The quality of the Taiwanese knock-offs is pretty good.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none

Chisel, punch and hammer? No. For many reasons, no.

That is a bad idea almost anytime, but especially where torque settings matter.

Drag racer

So the holdup to putting this dozer back together is a spanner wrench? I'd bite the bullet and buy the Cat wrench, or an equivalent if one is to be had, put the tractor together, go to work with the machine and advertise the spanner for rent........but I wouldn't loose track of it it, you may be needing it yourself again to go back into the final. Every time you use it ,it will become cheaper to own. JMHO.
Guess I need to update dozer is for use on farm only so no rush to put it together.
I try to cover any problems I have for ideas and maybe help others also.I truly appreciate everyone taking time to offer feedback please comment anytime.If I put it together
best that I can maybe my son that inherits it
will be ok.

Mcrafty1

Occupation
Earth work
Guess I need to update dozer is for use on farm only so no rush to put it together.
I try to cover any problems I have for ideas and maybe help others also.I truly appreciate everyone taking time to offer feedback please comment anytime.If I put it together
best that I can maybe my son that inherits it
will be ok.
Understood, I was just offering my opinion...and yes I know what they say about opinions. If you're happy I'm happy for you.

Welder Dave

Chisel, punch and hammer? No. For many reasons, no.

That is a bad idea almost anytime, but especially where torque settings matter.
That's why I asked what torque the nut needs and also said if it's not super high. There are some types of similar style fasteners that say to use a punch.

Drag racer

Have you checked with Cat for the bull gear? Sometimes the quality is worth the price, in my opinion bull gears fall well inside that spec, it's not a place to cut corners.....and you will pay SOMETHING for even the poorest quality gearing unless you are a VERY lucky person and find one free looking for a good home. JMHO.
Bull gear has cat stamp , did they use parts in Korea it is difficult to read looks like Korea looks like inferior metal comparing to my new one.

Drag racer

I would send photo I done everything to make stamp clear but using magnifying glass that what I make it to be.

56wrench

A lot of specialized tools can be made depending on the job and the cost of the oem tools etc. but how much is your time worth? Just sayin. Personally, if i’m not in a hurry i like the challenge of making special tools and the machining

Mcrafty1

Occupation
Earth work
Bull gear has cat stamp , did they use parts in Korea it is difficult to read looks like Korea looks like inferior metal comparing to my new one.
I don't know why you quoted my comment but I will say this, Cat builds equipment around the globe, I doubt they all use parts from Davenport Iowa. There are some fine equipment manufacturers in Korea, Hyundai is one but there are others, There will be parts manufactured there as well.