• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Crazy truck prices

Truck Shop

That stainless A-Car has been at Iowa 80 for awhile now.
Seams there are 2 stupid bidders out there. Geez, for dumb.
Just what is it I have been saying for awhile now folks. All this resurrecting old tired rode hard
and put up wet trucks that need the radiator cap jacked and a new truck run underneath at the
tune of $150.000. All this rebuilding is making the parts houses just extremely happy. They are
rubbing their hands together like flies on a dead bloated carcass. And when your all done {you
think} you still have a tired worn out electrical system, old fatigued rails and crossmembers, door
guts that need replacing, the complete air system, cooling system on and on. Every month it's
something else. If a truck had low miles {like 550,000} that's one thing but most of these are
1 to 1.7 million miles. There isn't a tight screw left in the cab. The old fence rowed trucks have
been dragged from the fields by the thousands, has anyone thought about the fact that will come
to a end. Then what? The same scenario played out with muscle cars, when that ran it's coarse
{along with emissions issues on diesels} the attention was turned from pi$$ ant diesel pickups
to Class 8 trucks--just like Harleys--Peterbilt's became the {Me Too Please} I want one of those
with a drop visor and some big stacks, I want to go broke too.
If it was such a great idea--even my old boss and his dad would have rebuilt the 26 Freightliner
Coronado gliders that were pre-emission 14L 550 Hp 1850 torque with RTLO18913A gear boxes
and Eaton 404 3.70 ratio. But the time involved plus coming up with enough OEM parts would
have taken allot of time & money spent on a {now} 2012 gliders with 750,000 on them, which
also meant several trucks shut down at a time for all this rebuilding, less revenue coming in.
Right now it's a 90 day lead time closer to 120 for a OEM Detroit Series 60 14L non emission,
same for a 12.7L. Average cost {And I know this because I just priced one} $38,000 plus
$11,500 for the core-if it is a acceptable core-all have gotten very picky about acceptable cores.
One of the dispatchers just spent $70,000 on a C15 installed-Cat kicked the core out, cracked
head and issues with block.
If your going to be in the hauling biz may as well by a SD122 Freightliner with a DD15 and buy
the full warranty covered to 700,000 then dump it at 600,000. You can't beat the DD12 AMT
transmission will run on average 800,000 with no repairs way better than a Eaton manual,
plus fuel mileage is way better. Price $220,000.
Below is a 1969 W900 923 I rebuilt in 2000 long before the crazy started. I rebuilt the interior,
shortened frame installed used air ride already had, rebuilt a 400 Cummins already had, rebuilt
a 12513 already had, repainted threw some tires on rebuilt the brakes and suspension along
with cooling system----Cost was $30,000 with labor, those days are long gone, but in the end
it was still just a old 1969 W900.
*IMG_NEW.jpgaths_wallawalla200307.jpg

Old Doug

They sold a 2017 Peterbilt at a auction it was live and on line . Biding started a week ago on stuff . I will try to get all the facts right but . It was a glider with a big cummins 18 speed no sleeper 30.000 miles . The farmer gave $140.000 for it new . I was told it brought $350.000.

Crummy

I've already got stupid offers on the one I'm doing, but not stupid enough. Yet.

The thing I've found currently is the unavailability of some OEM/aftermarket general parts, like the old POS air HVAC controller for pre-'02 PACCAR. A fellow is pretty much SOL on that- I found one new for $640 and Vander Haag's had a beat to crap one for $995 (hahaha!). The '01 got the '05 electric setup, needless to say.

Part of the reason I got a good deal on the '01 cab is broken sunroof glass- Inalfa F700 glass not available, anywhere, for any price.

Pre-'06 floor mat replacement....

Get an older rig better be pretty crafty in the workshop and lots of internet searching for solutions.

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
I don't really understand why there is so much negativity about older trucks? I am not talking about something from the 60-70's. There is a a lot of uses for trucks from the 90's-early 2000's. Yes they all have problems, new and old. I can't fix everything myself on older ones but I can get alot of it done. Its hard to do anything on a 2-3 year old truck without a computer to hook to it, sure ya it might be under warranty you say. That doesn't do **** when your 60 miles away from the dealer and its dead in the field. Its not free.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I am seeing the new dump trucks specifically tri-axles cool off in price and come down a little.

It will be interesting to see how the city and county trucks here hold their price when JM Wood auctions them off twice a year. What the muni's and county's have been doing is buying brand new KW's and Macks with a 13 month balloon payment. Since they get great factory pricing and no FET they are in the new trucks "cheap". They use the truck for a year and send it to auction on month 12. It sells and the auction proceeds pays the truck off and the muni/county makes $20-30K per truck. Pretty crazy.

If you look on truck paper you can find these trucks. Usually low mileage current year model tri-axles with big power with autos.

Here's one -

Only a county could get away with a tri-axle bed on a tandem, fill it up and be "legal".

cfherrman

In few years you will be lucky to buy a new truck for $500,000.

These old pre emissions truck are just heading straight up in value, even doing a full rebuild on a truck for $200,000 will be money ahead. If your worried about parts availability, don't worry, aftermarket will show up where there is a need, customer is always right after all

Truck Shop

don't really understand why there is so much negativity about older trucks?
It's not negativity--it's just fact people keep driving the price up paying the stupid price because
their stupid. Paying twice what a old dog cost when knew---that's nut's--vehicles are not investments,
it's a wear out machine----at this rate the price of a 1956 14A D8----Should be $250,000.
If it such a good idea then folks lets start rebuilding all those diesel pickups at 300,000.
And the Customer is usually wrong 60% of the time.

Last edited:

Truck Shop

Here's one-1986 359 want's $30,000 for it wrecked listed on FB Vintage Truck Market Place.
Throw another 30 at it, it's old it's worth it.
411640821_7144845572276918_4221998380852873775_n.jpg411651862_7144988552262620_2282617786902406050_n.jpg

Oxbow

While I assume the dealer back-log is getting a lot better, consider an independent guy going out and paying $200k plus for a new truck @ 10+% interest, then having an all-too-common electrical or emission problem with which there are no available parts, then sitting at the dealer for two or three weeks or more all while having to make payments and ancillary downtime costs, then it is no wonder that 20 year old trucks are getting the prices that they are.

Yes, you are going to have something to repair on a regular basis, but usually this can be scheduled on home time and available at most any decent diesel repair shop if beyond the capabilites of the owner. I am still buying parts for 1989 models with no problem. They are paid for, and I am not paying any interest on the repairs.

The 14A D8 comment is not applicable as a modern D6 can produce circles around it. A modern truck is no more productive than a 20 year old truck, albeit slightly more efficient.

The market is never wrong, though it can change quickly.

Truck Shop

ile I assume the dealer back-log is getting a lot better, consider an independent guy going out and paying $200k plus for a new truck @ 10+% interest, then having an all-too-common electrical or emission problem with which there are no available parts, then sitting at the dealer for two or three weeks or more all while having to make payments and ancillary downtime costs, then it is no wonder that 20 year old trucks are getting the prices that they are.
There is allot of this bad late truck info being posted, if it were the case then the repair yards would
be three times the size of the sales lots. All this terrible emission stories are blown out of proportion
in many cases. Most all of my old companies trucks ran 300,000 before DPF issues and any ones that
did have issues were covered under warranty. Talk about negativity this emission stuff has been way
over blown-yes there have been issues on time frames of parts and repairs but that was caused by
covid pandemic nothing else. As far as the the OLD D8 was for fun, A modern truck is way more efficent
than a 20 year old truck, all has to do with mileage.
The market is never wrong-what about 1929 and 2008?

Last edited:

Oxbow

The market is complety reactionary..........it cannot be wrong, or right for that matter.

Truck Shop

I thinkkkk there is a term artificial market.
.it cannot be wrong, or right for that matter.
Yes the market lags on the passing of gas in the wrong direction. Built on bad paper is a
manipulation of the market. The market is under constant manipulation.

MG84

The other factor to consider is inflation. It may seem ridiculous that a 30yr old vehicle or piece of equipment is selling for nearly what it did when new, but the dollar isn’t worth nearly as much either. As much as we hate it, we just have to wrap our heads around the bigger numbers. It doesn’t excuse some of the lunacy of the past 2-3yrs however...

Truck Shop

It may seem ridiculous that a 30yr old vehicle or piece of equipment is selling for nearly what it did when new,
A huge part that has been missed in this is the fact generation X, Y or Z came along and wanted
to turn Class 8 trucks into a street rod fad and the older the better which drove prices to a unreal
level for the people who just wanted a truck for hauling in their business. And yes I figured in
inflation which went out of control in that time period because of greed.