• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hough Payloader Model HA

audigger

these[ little] loaders

i have seen these loaders droped into ship holds to push loose materials [sugar etc] had one once didn,t like how they got stuck on the steering axle mine had a continenal motor if i remember right .

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums cletrac! :drinkup

redj

Hough payloader

Just got 2 Hough HA Payloaders given to my Mining/prospecting partner and I and I am looking for outhers that might have one of know of persons with one..
Any Info will help... One has a Flat head Waukesha engine model FC-291 #949937 (gas) rear steer. It appears to Be a late 40's or early 50's vintage Orig. color looks to be IH red and I think I can just make out the IH logo in the peeling paint but was painted over yellow one or 2 times ... I am looking at restoring both to use at my lode Mining Operation(gold)here in Arizona that most of the equiptment is between 1898 to 1950 that we are rehabing so they should fit right in....Here is a pic of the one with the Waukesha engine I hope..........................Thanks for any and all replys, AL (A.K.A) Azgoldrat

I just found this web sight. This is my first post here. I see that you are in Arizona. I have a Hough payloader in Tucson. My father has had it for as long as I can remember. I would like to sell it if anyone would be interested. I am not sure if this is allowed in this forumn but I saw you were in Arizona and thought I would let you know. Thank You

Phil VM2.5

Occupation
technician laboratory ventilation
Hough Payloader HA ... I think !

Hello,
sorry for my "englih", I am from belgium Europe ...
I will be the owner in some days of a Hough Payloader HA I think.
I have drive it for the first time yesterday to move some heavy parts.
I have must learn to drive it but I was quite easy.
I think I did find a gearbox with H, neutral and low gear
a command to move the front tools
the battery 6 Volt is dead and the mecanic start it with cable and a 12Volt battery what must not be the best way ...
It turn quite good when hot but need quite a long time tu run with the choke, but as with all engines I have to learn ...
I will try to put a picture of it so if somebody have informations, it will be good for me.
there is also a knob that you can turn situated near the seat between our legs, not yet find what it is
this is the first question !

thanks for this site ! :D
Philippe

Phil VM2.5

Occupation
I find ...

hello,
I have had the time to look a little more to my future Payloader, the knob between my legs when sitting is simply a throtle ...
I think I can also confirm that it is a 6 volt, so I am a little surprise that the starter do not turn more quickly when a 12V battery is used whith cable to start the motor ...
more later
regards
Phil

Phil VM2.5

Occupation
hi Paulih300,
thanks for the answer.
he have a throttle at the floor also!
I try to take some more pictures next week.
I have try to find a number or type or year on it, no succes
do you know where to look ?
Phil

PAULIH300

More...

HAs were made from 1947 to 1970.The loader arm setup changed in the mid 50s to a 4 cylinder/Ram arrangement from the older 3.The first HAs didnt even have hydraulic dump control,they were gravity dump using a locking mechanism controlled by a long rod.The serial number should be on the dash,and/or left loader arm (straight type).The engines were Waukesha FC (133 cid),transmission 1 speed forward,1 speed reverse,plus a high/low range.Front wheel hydraulic brakes.1000 lb lift capacity (1947-mid 1950s),2000 lb capacity (mid 1950s-1970).Diesel models came in mid 1950s (Waukesha FC diesel engine).Delco starters,Delco and Auto Lite distributors,Zenith carburetor.The cast rear counterweight/grille originally had a cast circle atop with a "H" Hough brass plate screwed in,after around 1952 the counterweight lost the circular cutout in favor of cast in letters "PAYLOADER".These rigs turn in a 6.5' turning circle.

Occupation
Quality Engineer
Paul,
I couldn’t have said it better myself. I believe that production of the first generation Model HA Payloaders ended in 1951 (“H” brass plate on the counterweight). The second generation production ran from 1952 thru 1954 (“PAYLOADER” cast into the counterweight). And the beginning of the third generation was in 1955 (4 cylinder lift introduced). I am not sure of the production changes after that. I think that once Hough/IH made the change to the 4 cylinder/Ram lift arrangement, only cosmetic and power train changes were made. What years was the torque converter and then the hydraulic drive introduced?

Ray

PAULIH300

Torque Converter

I believe the torque converter came along when the 4 ram lift system did.That would place it middle 1950s.Hough really made an advancement with the fluid coupling between the clutch and transmission...smoother starts,and less wheelspin/lugging the engine when encountering a hardpacked pile of whatever needed to be loaded.If only Hough had incorporated 4wd into the HA they would have created a near copy of the skid steer type loader that would come along 20 years later.

PAULIH300

Now that we are discussing the past,I am curious as to what happened to Mr Frank G Hough himself.I know he passed away in 1960,but I am rather curious how it happened,and wether he was still an active part of his former company that International bought (in 1952) while still leaving him on as the company's leader.

Phil VM2.5

Occupation
some pictures

hi,
2 pictures more
Phil

Attachments

• payloader 007.jpg
    payloader 007.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 4,819
  • payloader 006.jpg
    payloader 006.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 3,954

Phil VM2.5

Occupation
hello everybody,
any idea of the wheight of a Hough Payloader H25 ?

I have try to place it on my trailer, but the tires look flat ...

Philippe

Occupation
Quality Engineer
Philippe,
Early model model HA's weighed around 5,000 pounds. The later model H25's are probably closer to 6,000 pounds. If you use a 10,000 pound trailer you should be OK.
Ray