• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hough Payloader Model HA

Paylomatic

Phil VM2.5 , Do you have any more pictures of yours ?

I bought a IH payloader in march I guess mine is not a Hough because it was made in Canada .
Im trying to find out what year it was made .
It is looks a bit newer than phil's .
Is there a way of breaking down the serial # so that you can ideintify it ?
I know mine has the 153 International engine in it .
12 Volt electrical Delco starter & generator .
Im not sure if it had the propane system is original to it , or was added later .
but it was on propane . I converted it to gas .
I got a old updraft Marvel schebler off a lincoln arc welder and made a adapter plate for it to fit .

Also , there is two brake pedals , was this just for more stopping power , or was it to control individual wheels ?

I'll post some pics of it in a day or so .

Phil VM2.5

Occupation
technician laboratory ventilation
Occupation
Quality Engineer
The machine that is being restored and documented on the Redpower website is mine. I appreciate your comments. I started this project exactly a year ago. I will be adding additional pictures to that thread in a couple of days. Additionally, I will post pictures to this message board in the near future.
Ray

Phil VM2.5

Occupation
Hi Ray,
thanks for your pictures and comments, it is not easy to find informations for that toy.
So, everybody who wants to work on a Payloader will look at your comments.
it is also funy to know that there is on earth somebody who take time for that quality of work not for a Bugatti or Mercedes but for a Payloader.
I receive mine from a artist who did see it at work with an old man using it to work with cool and have admired so much the mechanism that he have say, I must have it.
When the old man die, he have buy it.
He was living in Belgium but returned to Danemark, so because no place there, I receive it because I have help him.
regards,
Philippe

Occupation
Quality Engineer

Attachments

• IMG_1551 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_1551 (Medium).jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 3,487

Phil VM2.5

Occupation
Hi Ray,
Nice work !
already one question !
I see on the picture that you seems have an alternator on your engine.
I have a dynamo 6 Volt that do not seems to be ok, so I have thing to place one alternator 12V ...
But I have realised that my engine was with the positif on earth !
what is your solution ?
regards
Phil

Occupation
Quality Engineer
Phil,
My HA was originally a 6v positive ground system and I converted it to a 12v negative ground system. This conversion is somewhat complex, but if you take your time you will not have any problems. The first items that you need to change are your 6v coil and any other 6v accessories that you my have on your machine. Your stock starter as long as it is in good condition will withstand the 12v system. Yes, even with 12v negative ground it will still turn in the right direction. Besides an alternator you will also need a 12v voltage regulator. There are many 12v conversions on the market, do your homework and you will not have a problem. This is my second tractor that I converted over the 12v. The first was a Ford 8N that I changed over 8 years ago. The alternator that I used I purchased from Burden Surplus here in the United States. It is a 30 amp unit that has more that sufficient power to supply the electrical requirements of the HA. And it was only about $30.
Ray

A picture of my elactrical system
https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=21505&stc=1&d=1217288477

Attachments

• IMG_1547 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_1547 (Medium).jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 2,427

Phil VM2.5

Occupation
Hi Ray,
thanks a lot for your informations.
I am surprise that the starter 6V can go with 12V.
But it seems that the owner know it already because he did have a 12V battery only to start it.
But I will convert it to 12V, it will be more easy.
I did find today with a friend mechanic that there is a leak in the carburator so I know now why it was not runing well without the choke.
I will open it and see if it is possible to repair it, otherwise, try to find a other carburator.
I have the same engine (but not the same color!)
When I see your picture, I am not sure I will post some picture of mine !
thanks for the help
Philippe

Phil VM2.5

Occupation
it run well !

Hi everybody,
I am happy, the engine run well.
in the past, you should aways have some choke, and the engine stopped to run offen.
I have dismantle the carb and clean it, make a new gasket, and it run really well !
there is still some play in the little axe, so I will try to repair it or find a other carb.
but I should therefore know what are the spécifications, but I can not read exept that it is a zenith made in USA
have a nice day
Philippe

Attachments

• IMG_2760.jpg
    IMG_2760.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 2,252

Iron Horse

This is my old 30 trying to put some camber back into the coaming rails on my Volvadyne after guy at the timber mill accidently opened the beak on the loader and let a huge log roll out onto my truck .

Attachments

• Volvo and Hough.jpg
    Volvo and Hough.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 2,994

carl bebb

I recently aquired a Hough HA Payloader and need some advise. The plate with the serial number is completely gone it's impossible to tell what year it is. It has the gas engine which somewhat narrows it down. My problem is with the steering. Everything is gone from the drag link to the tie rod ends. Any and all help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Carl

PAULIH300

Post some images.This may be the only way to tell what you have.The tie rods,brakes and a lot of things are late 1940s Ford car/truck based items.This helps tremendously,as todays IH/Hough/Dressda dealers would have no access to HA specific parts.There were 3 major generations of HA changes.This would help narrow it down.As for being a gas engine,they were gas from beginning (1947) to end(1970),with a few diesels sprinkled in,so its no surprise that yours is a gas job as well.

Occupation
Quality Engineer
Carl,
As was previously posted, the steering components for early "HA" Payloaders appear to be similar to late '40s to early '50s Ford heavy duty truck items. I haven't been able to verify any part numbers yet, but the tie rod ends and drag link ends for my second generation HA (1952 to 1954) look the same as those used on a '48 to '56 Ford truck. I won't know for sure until I do an R&R on my steering this winter. The tie rod adjustment sleeves should be pretty easy to take a stock Ford one and shorten it. The same go's for the drag link, take a stock Ford part an lengthen it. If you are missing the center bell crank, that may be more difficult to find, you may be better off trying to fabricate one. I'll post a couple of pictures of my steering. Tomorrow, if I get a chance I'll scan and post the steering axle and linkage pages from my parts manual. I hope this helps!
Ray

P.S. Please post some pictures of your machine so we can help you through your project.

Attachments

• IMG_1429 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_1429 (Medium).jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 2,110
  • IMG_1430 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_1430 (Medium).jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 2,088
  • IMG_1432 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_1432 (Medium).jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 2,169

carl bebb

I am having trouble trying to post the pictures. Thanks for the help and the pictures. I am missing the center bell crank or pivot. Everything else is in tact including tie rods, tie rod ends and drag link. I wondered about early combines with rear steering. Thanks for the tip on brakes. I am sure that will be the next project.
Carl