• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just some work pics

Welder Dave

Wondering if you lost a wheel weight or something and it's only noticeable at certain speeds. I have 2015 F150 with the 2.7 Eco Boost. Can't say I have any complaints with it in 130,000kms. Just put new tires on. It's especially quiet and gets good mileage. Some people don't like the auto start/stop but I've never even had the slightest issue with it. With the aluminum body hope it lasts at least another 7 years.

Concerning RB auctions I haven't looked that close lately but generally any popular machines with attachments, the attachments are sold separately and if it's a ripper or a winch still on the machine they charge a few bucks to remove it. I think $1000 to $1500 depending on what is involved. Several years ago a Bucyrus Erie 300H excavator in decent shape sold for $6000. It came with the dig bucket and the clean up bucket was sold separately. A used equipment dealer bought both and was asking 20K. The bucket wouldn't have fit anything else without extensive modification. I don't know what it sold for but what a drag to have to wait around all day for it to come up for sale hours later. Even worse for buyers of a dozer with a winch or ripper. I think the attachment is sold right after but what if another buyer gets it. The dozer buyer has to wait until the attachment is removed before they can even haul the machine away. What happens if there's issues with the machine after an attachment is removed? I do think in most cases the dozer buyer buys both.
Was just reading RB has a new female CEO that wants RB to get into the parts business so they can support the machines they sell. That will be interesting.

Last edited:

Tugger2

Its not that kind of railroad. Its just a loop in a amusement park, narrow gauge. And I did go talk to the boys at their railroad and made sure they weren't making a test run down the tracks that day. :)

And I did have the chain falls I needed for that job. :D

I think I ended up with around 30 chain falls out of that tangled mess.

Need a bigger chain fall? I bought a bin full of chain falls ,a dozen or so 5 to 10 ton and this 25 tonner was in the bottom.P5011788.JPG

crane operator

Load testing a overhead crane extension. They put the rating on the overhead, based on how much deflection it had under load. So I mixed and matched counterweights and mats to what the engineers wanted for weights.

It was great design, they can't put any item more than 6' away from the wall of the building. Should make loading convenient.

We did all the crane work for the steel addition, my RT has just kind of lived on the site, and we've been there off and on the last 6 weeks.

IMG_2968.JPG IMG_2967.JPG IMG_2966.JPG

skyking1

At Lowe's, it is $46.75 Vs. $11.66 for 7/16"
OUCH! That's a hard sell. the walls are ~100 sheets. $3500 premium to use it there, minus the ~$500 cost of wrap.
Georgia Pacific has a product called Force Field that is only $20 a sheet at Menards. My nearest Menards? Gillette WY LOL!!

Last edited:

Natman

I've been around a few of them here, my first thought was that tape would be good to carry in the plane for emergency fabric tears repairs. I worked on one house that spared no expense, what appeared to be the ZIP stuff with 2" foam bonded to it, (they needed 16D nails very close together, to get the engineered shear strength) AND it was framed with 2x8's! Been seeing more and more, still very few, of the ICE blocks homes, all by homeowners not pro builders. No matter what, they still need me to set their trusses it seems.

crane operator

Getting some weather today. upload_2022-12-22_14-18-45.jpeg

The boat ramp got a little short this summer when the lake was down. They set two extensions with the telehandler, and were in 8' of water when they set #2, so called me to set the third. They probed with a rebar because they couldn't see the last slab, so who knows if its in the right place.

The extensions were 8'x20', and instead of putting cables under them, so I could pull them out, they just left the nylons under them to basket them. Can't wait until someone catches one of those with a prop, or a trailer.
upload_2022-12-22_14-20-5.jpegupload_2022-12-22_14-20-26.jpeg

Welder Dave

Does it get a little hairy getting into some locations like backing down a slope near the water? I've seen some pics. of stuck cranes and it doesn't look fun getting them out.

crane operator

You have a keen eye for bad spots!

Tell me about it. It was the boat ramp in the morning, sewer boxes that afternoon, and the mat walk the next day.

The sewer box job was a cluster. A friendly competitor called me about them, sewer box builder was out of wisconsin, and had worked with him before. All he had available was his 300 ton, and he didn't want to take it down the hill to where the tanks sit.

The wisconsin dispatch lady from the tank builder called me, I told her I could get down there, but doubted the road trucks could, or at least get out when empty, and a lot of the OTR guys don't like getting drug around by a dozer. She asked if I was available on tuesday, and I said I was if I moved some jobs around, but our schedule was tight with weather coming in, and the holidays.

She said she would call me right back. Two days later she did- and I told her I was now booked, and was going to explain when I had openings, but she just said "thank you" and hung up. When someone tells me they will call me right back, I'm thinking in a couple hours, not a couple days, and I'm not leaving open spots for a "maybe". And I suspected I hadn't heard the last of the sewer tank job. I didn't think anyone else was going down there.

The wisconsin dispatcher, simply had the trucks loaded in wisconsin monday morning, and sent them to missouri, with no plan to offload the 45,000lbs tanks. She called back my crane buddy from springfield, and he wasn't going down there with his 300, and the other crane outfit that's capable of doing it, came and looked and said they weren't taking anything of theirs down there. She called the contractor who they are going in for, and told him "no one will go down in that hole" and it was basically his problem to get them offloaded. She didn't mention her scheduling problems with me to the general contractor, who I also do work for.

The general contractor called me. I told him the schedule issues, and that I could possibly get there after my boat ramp job, but it would be afternoon. That was okay with him, and the boat ramp job went well- so we got there early afternoon. I don't know how he's working it out with the wisconsin people. He told me the sewer system was a '' one price for the whole system", and he was back charging the wisconsin people for my work. The truck delivery drivers commented that the dispatch lady is a ditz, and they were just glad I showed up.

They did have to pull the empty trucks and trailers up the hill to get back out. They spun out in the loose gravel trying to climb, I had enough weight in the crane, and the counterweight truck walked right out also. The road had been a muddy mess the week before, but the general did some rock work on it before we came.

upload_2022-12-22_18-1-49.jpeg

Last edited: