• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Komatsu D155-1 Undercarriage Cost Ballpark

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Yes as epirbalex said it does I believe have a decompressor that would put the liquid out of the cylinders before starting if turning over without fuel. and now that you mentioned it , it does have a drain hole in the exhaust. Waiting to see what kind of dollars he wants. Yes Welder Dave thinking about it now it did have a bigger pipe over the muffler. You are correct. I was evaluating it pretty fast and my wife did take quite a lot of pictures, but your comment reminded me of how it was made.
Maybe the Salt tracks are okay , hard to say.
Should know in a few days what is going to happen. And yes will fix the price before the tractor.
Simon C

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
SALT tracks will stay in good working condition for many years, unlike the old dry tracks. After all, the track bushing seals are designed to work in dirt, mud and rock on a daily basis.

ttttdawson

Yes as epirbalex said it does I believe have a decompressor that would put the liquid out of the cylinders before starting if turning over without fuel. and now that you mentioned it , it does have a drain hole in the exhaust. Waiting to see what kind of dollars he wants. Yes Welder Dave thinking about it now it did have a bigger pipe over the muffler. You are correct. I was evaluating it pretty fast and my wife did take quite a lot of pictures, but your comment reminded me of how it was made.
Maybe the Salt tracks are okay , hard to say.
Should know in a few days what is going to happen. And yes will fix the price before the tractor.
Simon C
from an OEM manufacturer based in China:

SALT Track chain(41L): 2750 USD/PC
Track shoe: 33 USD/ PC
SF: 250 USD/PC
DF: 275 USD/PC
Carrier roller: 120 USD/PC
Sprocket gp: 180 USD/PC
Idler: 1580 USD/PC

Don't know this is still help to ya

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
from an OEM manufacturer based in China:

SALT Track chain(41L): 2750 USD/PC
Track shoe: 33 USD/ PC
SF: 250 USD/PC
DF: 275 USD/PC
Carrier roller: 120 USD/PC
Sprocket gp: 180 USD/PC
Idler: 1580 USD/PC

Don't know this is still help to ya
Sprocket segments are expensive compared to the rest or is that per set of nine

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Have been working on 1 Komatsu D155A-1 Engine part time for over 4 months. Had really hard time to get lots of parts. Found so many worn out housings, too many to name. Engine is less than a day from starting. Used the parts from 4 different motors to build this unit.
Will post a couple pictures once I get them into my computer.
Simon C

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Those prices are for purchase in China, and obviously don't include shipping? Shipping costs would be prohibitive, unless you purchased a 20' sea container load.

And most Chinese sellers require a minimum order value of around US$5K.

ttttdawson

Those prices are for purchase in China, and obviously don't include shipping? Shipping costs would be prohibitive, unless you purchased a 20' sea container load.

And most Chinese sellers require a minimum order value of around US$5K.
Shipping cost not included, still need the discharge port to offer a accurate freight cost.

be able to do business of FCL or LCL, and LCL should not less than 5 Tons. For D155, no speaking of rollers and sprocket, only 2 pcs track groups (or 2pcs track chains + 82pcs track shoes) would reach almost 5 Tons

joe--h

Shipping is way down from a year or two ago, and ttttdawson can give you the details, arrange shipping ect.
I've found the sellers in China can get it to the dock in Long Beach CA with no problems & arrange the broker here who does the rest including getting it on a truck and delivered to your door.

It's not all that difficult here. In Canada as far as I can tell your government hates you importing anything and makes it as difficult and expensive as possible.

I know, you get free medical.

Joe H

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Here is 2 shots of my latest project. Way too many hours but finally together. 2 Oil lines, Fuel spill timing and filler with oil and water left to do. Think it is the 8th one I have done. A nice paint job after the running. I have found out that yes tracks are available but many engine parts are no longer available. May yet buy one junker I found , but as was said, would buy new vintage date for building an operating unit. 43 years old is too much in the Komatsu world in my opinion.
Simon C
D155 Engine.jpgD155 Starter Side.jpg

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
Looks like "Rock Wool" sprayed insulation. Many military installations were coated with the stuff in the 1950's to 1960's. Not asbestos laden at all and very thermally efficient till it starts coming off in sheets.....

Had several former radar sites sprayed in it the FAA took over when DOD finished with them.

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
I believe you are correct with the Rock Wool idea. It hasn't fallen off yet and is a good insulator.
And yes we have had minus 16 C already but nice and comfortable in this shop.
I stole parts from 5 engines to build this one. You can see a block of one behind one of my pictures.
Found out on this job that alot has changed in last 8 years in terms of parts availability.
Want to thank those who posted about how to get undercarriage from overseas here and save a large sum if careful. I may yet buy 1 parts machine for the outfit I work part-time for, if we can justify the cost. But anything over 30 years old now is getting on the edge because of new manufacturers ideas about obsolesence.
Thanks
Simon C

joe--h

May be obsolete but you can still fix it.

When the electronics die in a five year old piece, you can't fix it and in 10 years the dealer won't even consider fixing it.

Joe H

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
I believe you are correct with the Rock Wool idea. It hasn't fallen off yet and is a good insulator.
And yes we have had minus 16 C already but nice and comfortable in this shop.
I stole parts from 5 engines to build this one. You can see a block of one behind one of my pictures.
Found out on this job that alot has changed in last 8 years in terms of parts availability.
Want to thank those who posted about how to get undercarriage from overseas here and save a large sum if careful. I may yet buy 1 parts machine for the outfit I work part-time for, if we can justify the cost. But anything over 30 years old now is getting on the edge because of new manufacturers ideas about obsolesence.
Thanks
Simon C
Can you give us a rough run down on the parts not available please . Its a pity to have to wreck 5 motors to get one going but guessing they would be in a dozer still going if the were up to speck .

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Aftermarket Pistons and Liners, Turbo's, .. No more Fuel injection pump plungers and Barrels anywhere in the world that we know of unless someone has some stashed.
Waterpump shafts are no go unless they start manufacturing again.
Some PTO parts no more, not even on the computer anymore.
I used 5 motors because 2 had big holes in blocks.
2 of 3 camshafts that I sent to machine shop were junk. Some of the cylinder heads were junk, too many cracks.
Sent out 10 heads and got 6 back, 3 of them for the motor and the rest for spares for the other dozers.
They will soon be a no go, but the company I am doing these for have 6 of these old dozers that plow in electric cables for windmills.
Very time consuming engine to do, especially with worn out housings.
Simon C

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
Aftermarket Pistons and Liners, Turbo's, .. No more Fuel injection pump plungers and Barrels anywhere in the world that we know of unless someone has some stashed.
Waterpump shafts are no go unless they start manufacturing again.
Some PTO parts no more, not even on the computer anymore.
I used 5 motors because 2 had big holes in blocks.
2 of 3 camshafts that I sent to machine shop were junk. Some of the cylinder heads were junk, too many cracks.
Sent out 10 heads and got 6 back, 3 of them for the motor and the rest for spares for the other dozers.
They will soon be a no go, but the company I am doing these for have 6 of these old dozers that plow in electric cables for windmills.
Very time consuming engine to do, especially with worn out housings.
Simon C
Bit of a worry .

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Ooohh, this is good news for me! I have a fully reconditioned Komatsu fuel injection pump that I'd like to get some money for! Maybe if I hang onto it for another 10 years, it will bring "collector" money! :)

Sad to say, for you D155 owners and repairers, this injection pump only fits the S6D140E, found in the WA-500 loader and the GD-825 grader.

I've got a few boxes of Komatsu parts, but surprisingly, very little D155 stuff. I guess they really are an old tractor now. The Japanese are pretty ruthless on totally removing any support for old models.

A mate has a 1977 Toyota truck, and he wanted a thermostat housing for it (5R engine). I found out that Toyota had not only sent every new part for that model in their warehouses, to scrap - but they also destroyed all the blueprints and factory manuals. It's like the model never existed now.
You can get some basic aftermarket engine parts for the 5R, but nothing else.