• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pacific trucks in the logging industy

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver

When I started working there in 1971, Fred had a couple of logging trucks sitting there but was in the Coal haul mostly He had by 1978 when I left around 30 Pacific's' This picture is from the 1960's

Hank R

Occupation
In 1948 Pacific built a model SAOD fire truck for the Vancouver Fire Dept.

In 1969 this truck was still in service.

Hank R

Occupation
1950 Model FCFS, S/N TO64-21 built for B C cement, this truck operated north of Victoria in a company town called Bamberton.

This truck came to Bamberton sometime around 1950 or 51. At that time, it was equipped with a 200 H.P. Buda gas engine and a five-speed overdrive transmission. This engine never ran very well and it gave a lot of ignition and carburetor trouble. After two or three years, it was changed to a 150 H.P. Cummins engine. It hauled about twenty-five tons of rock for each trip.
Eric Rodger drove it when it was new. Later on, Leigh Rodger and I drove it on day and four to twelve swing shifts.
About 1957 the Cummins crankshaft broke between number five and number six connecting rods so the engine was changed to a 671 Detroit diesel engine with a Mack ten speed two stick duplex transmission. Sometime in the late fifties, it was stripped down to a bare cab and chassis. The differential was replaced with a large tandem Mack axle assembly. A fifth wheel turntable and a winch for a cable dump trailer were installed. The ten-speed transmission was replaced with a Mack twenty-speed quadriplex transmission. The company bought a used trailer that hauled coal from a mine to Union Bay. It was rebuilt and the sides of the box were made about twice as high as the original. It would haul about forty to fifty tons of rock.
When the truck ran at the Bamberton quarries, its top speed was about twenty-five miles per hour. As a trailer tractor, its top speed was fifty miles per hour.
I drove the rebuilt Pacific for about as year and a half when it was first put on the rock haul. If the road was slippery, just above the highway overpass, it did not like to turn the corner until the outside front tire contacted a bit of sand that was still left on the edge of the pavement. This was a somewhat hair raising experience. When you were going fifty miles per hour, loaded or empty, the truck handled quite well, but you knew that there was a lot going on under your feet and you were really moving.
Angus Crothers drove the Pacific after I switched to a Mack the company bought from Norm Copley.

Morris Dougan

dirty4fun

Sure have been enjoying the old Pacific brochures, they have built some real interesting trucks over the years.