• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pacific trucks in the logging industy

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver

The first I-beam truck came out in 1963. This truck was sold to Matt Isherwood of Port Alberni on Vancouver Island. This truck had a V8-903 Cummins, 5x4 spicer and a B/L 8341 with 4640 wide track rears, 12ft bunks and 1200x24 tires. This truck also was equipped with two Williams exhaust brakes, Lear electric retarder on the driveshaft and a water tank for spraying water on the brake drums to keep them cool. This was a state of the art modern and huge truck in 1963. This truck was not sold as a P-16. Sometime in 1964 it became model P-16.

Pacific received its first order for P16s from Crown Zellerbach in 1964. This was followed by an order from MacMillan Bloedel on Vancouver Island in 1965.

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
Any idea why the stacks were at the front of the truck? Noise reduction, or something else?

Hank R

Occupation
Any idea why the stacks were at the front of the truck? Noise reduction, or something else?
No guess at all on post 832 one see that it is a very small muffler on each pipe, could be a easy place to mount exhaust stacks?? Better than the center of hood like earlier models.

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
I was wondering if it might have something to do with the exhaust brakes.

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
I was wondering if it might have something to do with the exhaust brakes.
When these trucks were built , noise from an off highway truck or any machine, yarders or loaders , was not a big concern , once WCB started getting concerned about the number of workers in the Industry that had bad hearing or were deaf . Proper mufflers and hearing protection was provided .

Last edited:

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
Finally some pics from Sproat Lake Division - or at least some of the trucks from my time working there. H-323, H-324, H-325, & H-326 were the newest trucks on the claim back in 1976 and the only pre-loaders that we were using then. I've seen some pictures of H323 on this site, after it was sold off and moved up Island, but I've always wondered what happened to the other three. Thanks for posting these Hank, and put up some more if you can. I've attached a few pics from my working days. The nose of the truck connects them to this thread - it's the H-325 getting a load from the J-88, up on Branch 302 above Sproat Lake in 1977. The two fellows are Tom Armich and Al Massie. Good wood and good times.....

Attachments

• scan0001.pdf
    348.7 KB · Views: 140
  • scan0002.pdf
    403.1 KB · Views: 91

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
Okay Hank - explain what I'm looking at here. I never knew that M & B even had gravel trucks. Back in the day, we only saw contractors driving these trucks. Which one of the four is this picture of? You're hurting me....

Hank R

Occupation
Well the way I see it , not knowing much looks like a Pacific with a wood waste box that would be used for clean up in the mill yard. Not so much for Gravel.
I hope this may help.