• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Progress on the AW supper 300

Grader4me

I have not made up my mind weather to change out the back window and make it non opening or try to make something work to keep it as an opening window. It does not get very hot here and the motor does put out a little noise so I am leaning to a solid window in the back.

I would just make it a solid window. A rear window that opens would help cirulate the air better, but also it would make it louder in the cab. Also more chance of picking up exhaust fumes.
So what type of plowing will you be doing with your grader...parking lots etc?

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I am a little surprised that the moldboard controls do not have a float position since the system is hydraulic.
The standard control layout on most graders is having the moldboard lever to the extreme end of the control quadrant for the respective sides and optionally you will find some with both levers side by side on the right which is what I prefer as you can run both sides with one hand which frees your other hand up for other things.
The reason I mention this is because the last grader I ran was a John Deere and the owners graciously changed the control configuration to the right hand position for me.
The down side in this case is that you lose the float position for the left hand side of the moldboard because changing the hoses to accomodate my preferred style left the valve body with the float position still on the lefthand end of the quadrant controlling something that didn't need a float position.
Now,to get to my point here,John Deere has already thought about this and they sell a kit just for the purpose of returning the float function to the valvebody that controls the left end of the moldboard to accomodate those of us who like it that way.I don't know if you could incorporate any of this on your Austin Western but when I went through heavy equipment school in 1960 at Fort LeonardWood we learned on Cat 12's AND Austin Westerns.The Austin Western was hydraulic of course and although I cannot say for sure it would seem as though it had a float position on it.It sure would do a lot of things but my memory is not that good so I can't say for sure.
Maybe you could find something in a boneyard someplace or used on the internet.Good luck,you are doing a great job with it.I always enjoy seeing old equipment restored to work again.The AW's that I ran in the military had the International engines that started on gas then switched over to diesel.You are certainly better off with the Detroit.Ron G:thumbsup

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
I would just make it a solid window. A rear window that opens would help cirulate the air better, but also it would make it louder in the cab. Also more chance of picking up exhaust fumes.
So what type of plowing will you be doing with your grader...parking lots etc?

My feelings exactly on the window. I guess I could always change it back in I needed to.

I plow mostly parkinglots but who knows what it might be used for. For now it keeps me out of the bars. eather kind.

Thanks RonG I will look into the posability of AW having the option of a float.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Well it has been snowing here so I have been busy plowing/sanding. But here aer more pictures toard the back of the machine.

Welded up some cracks on the cab.

The hood removed

and cab in primer.

Attachments

• AW web (28).jpg
    AW web (28).jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 1,005
  • AW web (29).jpg
    AW web (29).jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 1,009
  • AW web (30).jpg
    AW web (30).jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 1,005

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
A little more here and a little more there. I still don't know ware it will ever end.

Attachments

• AW web (31).jpg
    AW web (31).jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 981
  • AW web (32).jpg
    AW web (32).jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 978
  • AW web (33).jpg
    AW web (33).jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 979
  • AW web (34).jpg
    AW web (34).jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 1,003

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
If it wern't for the paint fumes I probably wouldn't post so many pictures.

Attachments

• AW web (35).jpg
    AW web (35).jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 1,021
  • AW web (36).jpg
    AW web (36).jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 1,019
  • AW web (37).jpg
    AW web (37).jpg
    8 KB · Views: 1,014
  • AW web (38).jpg
    AW web (38).jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 1,007
  • AW web (39).jpg
    AW web (39).jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 1,012

Jeff D.

If it wern't for the paint fumes I probably wouldn't post so many pictures.
Keep posting them!!:yup I know I'm enjoying them, and it's more fun to look at a makeover like this than some of the "Pimp my ride" stuff they have on TV.

Good thing you're not closer, too. I think those tires would fit my loader.:bouncegri

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
By the time I get done you may change your mind. We may have to change the thread title to "Pimp my Ride"

jmac

Dawn you will have to get a hat with a feather in it, and some blingage for around your neck.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
More on the painting procedure.
Strip off the old paint
acid ech exposed steel
primer with 2 part epoxi acid eching primer
seal with primer sealer
3 coats of color using 2 part urathane enamel with hardner. (Dupont)

The finish after 3 months of hardning can not be affected even pooring battery acid on it if it is washed off within 1/2 hour, will not rust if left under saltwater for 30 days, Will loose up to 20% gloss after 7 to 10 years when left in the sun, (Not a problem here :) ).

The wheels are finished except for the cleaning of the last owners overspray and siping the tires. oh ya and 1 stud and lugnut.

Attachments

• AW web a (43).jpg
    AW web a (43).jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 988
  • AW web (42).jpg
    AW web (42).jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 979
  • AW web (41).jpg
    AW web (41).jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 973

Dusty

Charter Member
that looks great i wish i had the space and the time to do jobs like that
{oh yeah skill would be nice to} keep the pics comming

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
I haven't had much time to work on this because we got 2' of snow in the last 24 hours and I think I need some sleep.
Some more progress from before the snow fall.

The cab is painted red and some small parts.

Attachments

• AW web (45).jpg
    AW web (45).jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 956
  • AW web (44).jpg
    AW web (44).jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 972
Last edited:

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Looking better every day Dwan. It makes me want to find a "fix 'er up 'er" to work on. Although that is an understatment to what you are doing which appears to be a full restoration.

Keep the pics coming...

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Masking, Masking, Masking will it ever end? This is a big project and keeping the overspray off your work is a pain. It would be different if this project was the only thing going on in the shop. But keeping 3 plows, 2 sanders, and my 2 old bobcats going at the same time is realy a pain. My next shop is going to have a seperate bay just for painting.

Attachments

• AW web (48).jpg
    AW web (48).jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 925
  • AW web (47).jpg
    AW web (47).jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 926
  • AW web (46).jpg
    AW web (46).jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 917

Grader4me

After you painted your rims what did you use to clean the paint/overspray off of your tires? Is there is still overspray on the rear tandem tire?

Last edited:

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
After you painted your rims what did you use to clean the paint/overspray off of your tires? Is there is still overspray on the rear tandem tire?

If you wilnotice back in post #46 the second shot of a rim in primer there is a 2" band which just fits on the rim so my overspray does not get on the tires.

The yellow overspray was from the last owner when they painted it yellow.
I removed the yellow overspray with 360 sand paper then a rag soaked in MEK to wash it then I applyed a light coat of high heat black spray paint because it has a flat finish. Hope they wil keep looking the way it does now.

I should have set this in my front yard for Holloween, it could have been my jackolantern. LOL.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed

If you wilnotice back in post #46 the second shot of a rim in primer there is a 2" band which just fits on the rim so my overspray does not get on the tires.

The yellow overspray was from the last owner when they painted it yellow.
I removed the yellow overspray with 360 sand paper then a rag soaked in MEK to wash it then I applyed a light coat of high heat black spray paint because it has a flat finish. Hope they wil keep looking the way it does now.

It has been snowing so my posts will be short for the next few days.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Well I ran into a problem. I let the red set to long and the black would not stick. it was weard it just gathered up in bunches like I was shooting over pure silicone. Anyway I wiped the black back off with some thinner and scufed up the red with a scotch brite pad and all went well from there.
I also got some new glass to replace the plastic that was on a few of the windows and went ahead and tinted it along with the origional glass that was left.

Attachments

• AW web (49).jpg
    AW web (49).jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 845
  • AW web (50).jpg
    AW web (50).jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 847
  • AW web (51).jpg
    AW web (51).jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 850
  • AW web (52).jpg
    AW web (52).jpg