• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Progress on the AW supper 300

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
The windows w/35% tint
They may seem dark but when looking from the inside out they are ok.
The last picture showes a window with tint and above that no window at all for compairison

Attachments

• AW-web-(57).jpg
    AW-web-(57).jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 1,064
  • AW-web-(60).jpg
    AW-web-(60).jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 1,065
  • AW-web-(58).jpg
    AW-web-(58).jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 1,070
Last edited:

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
Are you going to insulate the cab so in the winter a person doesn't freeze to death :eek:

The grader is looking good I bet you will be glad when the painting is all finished.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Is this the original paint scheme you are reproducing? I think the only other color I've ever seen a grader was orange, I think it was an old Gallion if I remember right. Could the orange have been faded red? Very unique. I don't think I've ever seen an AW grader before.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Is this the original paint scheme you are reproducing? I think the only other color I've ever seen a grader was orange, I think it was an old Gallion if I remember right. Could the orange have been faded red? Very unique. I don't think I've ever seen an AW grader before.

I have seen AW's in red, green, orange, and yellow.

This one was red when new. (not this color red, this is my co. colors)
I am not going to try to make it origional but make it suite what I want.

I am going to try to add some insulation I have to the inside and also 2 heaters. one on the floor for my feet and one hanging from the top to defrost the windows. The 2 units together should put out about 60,000 btu. and with the 3/4 high density foam insulation should keep it warm. I am also thinking of heating the seat before I reapolster it. Right now it is 2 below outside so I am looking at all options for heat.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
You also going to want sound deadning so you can cut back on the road oiler noise maker that powers the grader :laugh

What would work good is a bus heater it runs off of hotwater from the engine.

Jeff D.

Dwan, I wonder how much heat that Detroit will produce in the winter?

I've driven some vehicles with 6V92's & 8V71's. They were cold when they weren't working. You could almost watch the temp guage drop when you pulled you foot off the throttle.

I supose if all else fails, and you're still cold with the added insulation and heaters a Webasto aux. fuel powered heater could be added. Kind of a spendy fix though.

I've had the fun of trying to stay warm in really cold trucks(Freightliners). With the Detroit 60series below 0 I'd crank the idle up to about 1200rpm when stopped, and I'd still freeze my Kiwi's off.:crying

She's looking really good though!!:thumbsup

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Make sure you eat some bean burritos and a couple bowls of chilli with kidney beans it should keep you warm :bouncegri

Seriously thou I agree with Jeff the two strokes do cool off a little quick I don't know how much heat you will get from a 4/71.

I have heard Proheat is a good brand of heater it might be a little expensive.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
I suspose we will see. there are shutters on the radiator they may help and I plan on installing side doors around the motor. I also have a 12V electric heating pad I was going to install under the seat cover.
Anyway thanks for the "cool" information. I never knew the V71's ran that way.

Here is some more shots of the glass and 2 tone paint. the last shot I added a yellow strip between the black and red to off set it a bit.

Attachments

• AW-web-(63).jpg
    AW-web-(63).jpg
    9 KB · Views: 1,057
  • AW-web-(64).jpg
    AW-web-(64).jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 1,051
  • AW-web-(61).jpg
    AW-web-(61).jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 1,064

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Another shot after removing some more masking paper.

and a cool shot of the controls. I think a set of joy sticks would be the only way to go.

Attachments

• AW-web-(65).jpg
    AW-web-(65).jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 1,051
  • AW-web-(656.jpg
    AW-web-(656.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 1,041

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
The snow has put a stop to any ferther work for a few weeks. it is now sitting out side getting cold. need the shop to keep the plows running and keep the sanders inside at night.

Attachments

• grader 008 web.jpg
    grader 008 web.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 1,038
Last edited:

Grader4me

Another shot after removing some more masking paper.

and a cool shot of the controls. I think a set of joy sticks would be the only way to go.

Yup, go for the joy sticks Dwan...nothing would surprise me now :)
Excellent job...something to be very proud of. Shame to see the little honey sitting out in the snow.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Whoo that picture of the grader with 12"s of snow on it makes me feel cold :laugh

Actually we are getting our first hit of snow this year on the West Coast. I know our Pacific Northwest members are probably seeing the snow aswell.

Rotten white crap its a hinderance it stops work around here :Banghead

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Love the snow I make more money hauling snow then anything else. Just wish it didn't take up shop space to keep the sanders inside.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
You better build another shed or shop for the trucks and keep one shop for equipment restorations :yup

A person never can have enough covered heated storage.

jmac

A person never can have enough covered heated storage

This is my problem, I need to solve it in the next couple of years. Dawn the grader looks great! It would be great to have a shop your size with all the fixings. I wook out of a 15 x 40 single story 7' tall doors garage. Can't get the skid steer in it, so forget anything else. My pickup won't fit in all the way. The space is for tool storage.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Took me 20+ years to get this far and I don't think I will ever have enough heated dry space to work unless I move to the no snow/rain belt down south and I don't think that will ever happen.
This is the shop in the background. 26' deep and 56' long, 3 open bays with lift and 1 seperate bay. I installed a bathroom w/shower 2 years ago and an overhead office w/ storage space in the overhead 8' x 56'. 3 years ago. waste oil heat (1000 gal a year) and a planed overhead 2 ton trolly crane.

Attachments

• Bomag shop web.jpg
    Bomag shop web.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 1,288

jmac

Very nice place Dawn. It takes alot to get to the point that you are. I am still spending alot on equipment, but this year I think I have most of what I need. Just have a 20 ton trailer left to get in the spring and I should be good for while. Bought the Mack dump truck, Komastsu PC150, and Case 72" single drum roller, 8000 watt generator, new laser system, and new welder this year :crying

Here is a photo of a barn I am looking at very close to my house
View attachment 2735

Last edited:

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Thats a decent sized shop you have there Dwan.

What allot of guys are doing here are buying those metal buildings they are not the Qwanset huts but they are a barn shape building with a hip roof.