• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Upfitting an International 4700

MG84

I’ve been using this truck almost exclusively for my heavier towing over the past couple months. Having 39’ of bed space on a rig I can get into most any driveway is wonderful. Today I loaded my 100 gal diesel tank and job box on the bed along with my skid steer forks, and two mini ex buckets. Two 4’ underbody boxes carry day to day tools, cones, straps, extra fluids, etc. No room to spare but skid steer and mini ex haul together on the trailer:
307ACB17-460C-456D-86CB-7DF32C1B0296.jpeg

Still have a list of things I want/need to address but at least it’s out earning its keep. Next $$$ purchase will be a new set of drive tires, the straight cut tires that came on it just aren’t going to work...

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
How does the truck handle the weight towing?

MG84

Nice setup!

I wish I could do that but the dump body is a necessity for me.
Thanks. On some jobs I tow this setup with my F700 single axle 10’ dump if I need the dump truck on site. Not much fun trying to fish the attachments out of the bed of the dump truck with the mini ex but it works. I’ve thought about setting this IH 4700 up as a flatbed dump, we’ll see.

MG84

How does the truck handle the weight towing?
As good as you could expect with 190hp lol. It is slow on the big hills, one pulls me all the way down to first gear at about 10mph, but it is extremely steep, 20%+ grade. All of my jobs are within a 15-20mi radius so I’m usually not going far. Handling and braking are good, trailer tows smooth and quiet. I try to put all the tongue weight and weight on the bed that I can, especially on steep gravel roads.

MG84

Nice set up! Looks like a quick and efficient mob/demob.
Yup thats the name of the game. On fencing jobs I carry the skid steer and my fence building tractor on the trailer and the materials on the truck. I can fit up to 6 bundles of wood posts on the truck, or a couple bundles of posts + one pack (105) 6”x16’ treated fence boards.

PeterG

Occupation
Contractor
190hp lol. It is slow

I have a 1990 International 4900 with the same engine, and have towed my bigger equipment with it. Yup, stay away from any hills! When going up steep hills have your Co-workers get out an push.

Or you could go the other way around. Get a bigger truck, and down size the equipment. Image is of my bigger truck and my smaller equipment.

0-60 fast, zips around the corners great, and Passes traffic on the hills! Cheers.

Attachments

• Hauling the smaller equipment.jpg
    Hauling the smaller equipment.jpg
    975 KB · Views: 17

MG84

So in my search for another dump truck I found an free online vin decoder which I've been using for checking brake type, engine, etc on prospective trucks. Not very detailed, but better than nothing. Out of curiosity I put the vin for the Ih 4700 in this thread and it says it's a class 6 truck, under 26K GVWR, all other specs are correct. Title says 32K GVWR, so now I'm confused. I know the original upfitter can lower the GVW but didn't think they could raise it, without physically changing something on the truck. The yellow upfitter sticker in the door is illegible. Does anyone have access to the real IH vin decoder to see all the specs/options on this truck?

Vin is 1HTSCAAL2YH265971

thanks

mekanik

This is what I come up with:
jXFHqQr.jpg

Wupk4fP.jpg

gup7Qpt.jpg

MG84

Wow thank you, that's all the info I could have wanted.

So it looks like it's a 25,500gvw truck after all, 8000lb front/17500lb rear. I wonder how/why Pepsi had it titled at 32K? If possible I'm going to try to re-title it at 25,500, then my help can drive it without the trailer, which would be great.