• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Welcome!!!

Bid2Win

Hey all I been in this industry 15 years 10 years as a operator and the last 5 years an estimator in Chicagoland. It is nice to see a forum like this. I have been lurking for awhile.

MikeH

Occupation
R&D
Hi!Everyone!
I am Michael Huang, I am a R&D man work in a Chinese Machinery Company from 1994, I am glad to here to listen to the Voice of Customer's in American.
Thank you!

Randy88

Hello my name is Randy and I've been self employed for close to 25 years in farming and excavation for 10 now, several things I've learned over the years is the responsibility sits in my seat and do it right the first time and do it like it was your own, people have come to expect that from me they tell me, do it how you'd do it for yourself and I'll be happy. I own a lot of toys and the list is growing every day, I do what the big guys don't have time to do or redo what they did wrong so it works, I've found over the years if you don't comprimise quality and stand behind your work you'll be as busy as you want to be in life and set your own pace, I've been reading some of the posts here and I'd have to say finally I've found a group that has morals and businesslike manners that actually make sense and answer questions. I'm new to the computer thing and have a few patience and this too I shall learn. Someone once told me that lifes too short, you have to learn from others mistakes you don't have time to make them all yourself, he also told me the world is your sandbox now go out and play, remember the only thing you get out of life is the fun along the way and the friends you meet while having that fun

Boomstick

Hey, I work for a CAT dealer, ive been around heavy equipment off and on since I was a little turd. when i'm not working i'm knocking down steel plates at the gun range or i'm out coyote hunting, shooting prairie dogs, hunting upland game/waterfowl basically anything that has to do with firearms and the outdoors im all about it. I hope to learn alot here and just by the reading ive been doing for the last 3 or 4 days here i'm pretty shure I will.

catstockblog

Occupation
newspaper copy editor
Grew up in Peoria, parents worked at Cat; moved away to do other things. Now in the Bay Area, California. Would barely trust myself on a riding lawn mower but I'm hoping to learn perspectives on Cat from the people who use 'em.

OffDIGGIN

Offdiggin

HI everone my name is Bob I been around construction equipment all my life
my dad had a concrete compay. so thats where I started fallowing a backhoe
with a shovle. then I ran bobcats,and then I got my first backhoe MF 50hx
offset. now i got a terex 760 offset and peterbilt rolloff and I only dig footings
for concrete contractors. looking forward to posting here never been on a forum before.

dagsky

Miner

hey all great forum you got here! Hope to be useful to you all here and hope that i can lend a hand to you that are interested in mining in africa!

miningman

Occupation
student
mining

Hi everyone !

I'm a french student in mecanical engeneering, later I would like to design earthmovers. If possible, that would be large mining shovels as they are favourite machines. I love all modern surface mining equipments and I dream to travel the world to see they up close and working.

I also collect die-cast models, with more and more mining machines in my collection. I'm trying to build a P&H 4100BOSS model in 1/50 : that's an hard job but, after months of work, it begins to look like a shovel !

I hope to give many infos and pics for this forum, and to meet new friends !
If you want to see some of my pics so far -> galleries

MiningMan

MaxNik

Occupation
Sales Rep
MaxNik

Hi, i've been working for CAT dealerships for over 5 years and thought i knew much about the market. It seems like i gonna learn tons more:) and i hope i could be of some use here:beerchug

Lugghead

Lugghead

I've been running equipment for the better part of 15 years. Started out running mostly Bobcat's and Forklifts. Now, it's been boom trucks and cherry pickers. ALL the most important lessons I've learned have been OJT!! Luckily, I know that every old dog can learn new tricks, no matter how old the dog is!!!

Top Dog

Occupation
Rock Quarry Owner
Wow this is a neat site with a lot of experince and wisdom. I am new to this, I work for the local road dept. here in Arkansas, as the road supt. Been working with heavy equipment for the last 30 or so years, also have a couple of patents on some equipment I have made.

goodB0Y

Occupation
equipment operator
Big hello from the great white north,

My names corey and I'm a heavy equipment operator here in b.c. Been working for 15yrs... dam the time flys...lol, and I just stumbled across this site and joined up.... look forward to chatin with ya all

mudmaker

My name is Marc. I am currently involved in residential construction. Mostly site work. Until last summer I owned a small ready mix operation (4 trucks). Really enjoyed doing that, but local market wasnt doing well so we cut our losses while we could. Looking at the econ now I am thankful we cleared out when we did!! Anyway, I have a Case 1845C and a Deere 310 SG.

datsunman

Occupation
mechanic
hey, I've run the big ones and the small ones, its all great

:usa:)The largest was a LORAIN payloader that my dad bought from next door neighbor and it was a bugger to opperate. No brakes poor steering and the180 supercharged cummins had seized so out with it and in it went a FORD 390cubic inch fe block with clutch and 4spd tranny. A little different but hey it worked. So the hydrostatic of the Lorain still worked so we just shifted the 4spd into either 1st or 2nd and fired it up and once she was warmed up you could just hit fwd/rwd pedal and throttle the hell out of the 390.

datsunman

Occupation
mechanic
I got some pictures of my smallest (heavy equipment) at play time

:)This is a car but has had some modifications. Was and still is a Datsun 210. I call it the Datsun, she pulls, pushes, plows snow, hoists and drags and turns some curious heads. These pics are from her play day at the fair in Goodhue county Mn in 2008, the event was a truck pull. The class was 5500# and my datsun weighed in at 3300# despite all the concrete I'd filled the back seat and trunk with. I was told that she pulled past a number of trucks so those poor fellows had to explain to their wives or girl friends how come a little car just out pulled their truck despite all the mods and money they had just put in it. I got an amaizing 184' and some inches from the start before the little Datsun booooggged down and spun. I she did all that with just 2wd, the trucks were all 4wd.

Attachments

• DSCF3600.jpg
    DSCF3600.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 249
  • DSCF3600-4.jpg
    DSCF3600-4.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 248
  • DSCF3600-5.jpg
    DSCF3600-5.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 245

datsunman

Occupation
mechanic
The Datsun is well known for pulling power, the secret is 2 transmissions and a 4.33-1 axel ratio and the 7.60x15 tractor treaded tires. I have a video of her pulling in a 5500# truckpull class. Some day I'll figure out how to post the video.

Last edited:

PRDiesel

PRDiesel

Can't believe I didn't find this site sooner!

I operate a Kobelco sk210lc every chance I get and do all the maintenance on this machine as well as others. I now work in real estate development but in the office not in the field. This job is killing me... all I think about is being in that Kebelco!! I ran that machine all through college and got this job when I graduated but its just not quite doing it for me. I hope to someday be back in the operators seat for good. (hence the daydreams)

Hendrik

Yet another wannabe owner/operator

G day folks,
Thought I do the polite thing and introduce myself, my name is Hendrik Riessen and I live in the Adelaide Hills, that's in South Australia.
I own a Kobelco SK005 (half tonne ex) and a walk behind mini dumper.
Now that the kids have reached school age it is time to give up my job as house husband and get back into hard work. The missus is fed up with her current gig and has been making noises along the lines that she wants to get into garden maintenance.
The plan is to specialize in small, tight, difficult jobs that the bigger machines can't do or won't do, along with general garden work/light landscaping and such. Basically do whatever to make a buck and enjoy working more.
I have been a member of other forums and chat list and have found them to be great sources of info and support and look forward to the same here.
I started my working live on the land operating broadacre farm equipment, with the occasional foray into earthmoving stuff and have a couple of hundred hours on backhoes/excavators. That is not a great deal but I am a competent and safe operator, you have to be to do a decade on the land and walk away with all limbs and digits attached. I also like to do all my own maintenance (as far as possible anyway) and am a great believer in looking after the machines to ensure a minimum of breakdowns.
In order to get our little venture up and running I still have a few things on the list, for those who are interested or may be thinking of doing similar here is a run down:
The SK005 is pretty much ready to go, new engine, three buckets, better seat, no hyd leaks and everything works as it should.
The walk behind dumper (of Asian origin but has a Honda motor) needs a new set of V belts to ensure it's reliability, the gear selector broke due to previous rough operators forcing the gear change but that has been fixed. I am going to build a set of removable hungry boards for light material.
The carry vehicle (97 dual cab Izuzu ute) needs a set of helper springs to carry the load better (500kg ex, 200kg dumper and probably another 100kg in tools and ramps and such), it is rated at a tonne capacity but a bit saggy with a load. I have a old luggage rack to fit onto the top of it, so I can put my buckets and other bits and pieces up there in a lock up toolbox. To finish it off a bit of signwriting on the sides and it will be good to go.
On the admin side of things I have to register a trading name, which at this stage may be Tiny Earthworks and Garden Services, I reckon that is a pretty descriptive name for what we wanna do.
I need to get some insurance (any recommendations from Oz members?) because you shouldn't leave home without it.
Then I have to let people know I am open for business, which will involve a variety of ads in local papers/notice boards and a letter campaign to local plumbers, landscapers, sparkys and whoever else I can think of that might need a micro excavator/dumper service.
Unfortunately it is a bit expensive to get going but I have budgeted pretty well I think and not spend a fortune on equipment, which will allow me to have a fair sized advertising budget.
Anyway sorry for the long intro and feel free to ask or advise me.
Happy digging