• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

British Columbia Forest Products Ltd.

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
The truck had had a major rebuild about 6 months before this wreck , it was taken into the Renfrew Div. shop and completely rebuilt again . I regret I didn't take an after photo .
The driver was a little shook up but was okay . Lesson 101 from log truck drivers hand book , when things start to go wrong "Ditch It" , you can't ride out a run away on a long hill !

camptramp

Occupation
Tried to stretch a tank of water to far , one trip to many , short by half a mile . Hill is fairly steep below switch back , above where truck laid over . When things go wrong , they go wrong in a hurry .

camptramp

Occupation
Gordy I (Ike Isacson) BCFP Renfrew Div. D. Evans Trucking , ( Gravel hauling contractor at Renfrew Div.) Could be Garry Isacson driving .scan53.jpgscan54.jpg

camptramp

Occupation
Pat MacMillen has loaned us his father Bob MacMillen's slides to share . Bob MacMillen started with BCFP in the late 1940's or early 1950's working with Timber Cruising Crew's in the San Juan Valley along with several other University Educated Engineer's and Forester's that started out on the Surveying and Timber Cruising Crews at the beginning of British Columbia Forest Products Ltd. , stayed with the company working his way up the Management Ladder to retire as a Division Manager . 1st picture is of Bob MacMillen . Ken Hallberg and Blondie Moxness standing in front of BCFP sign in front of Cookhouse at entrance to BCFP Renfrew Div. Dryland Sort and Shop area's . Carved by Chief Charlie Jones of the Pachena First Nation's Band , this Carved sign is now hanging on a wall by the Locie shop at B.C. Forest Discovery Center , Ducan B.C. 2nd picture is looking out of Office at entrance to Dryland Sort . 3rd picture is a Photo taken of area known locally as the Industrial Site .scan00.jpgscan01.jpgscan02.jpg

Last edited:

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
This is just history that is being preserved and should never be lost,thanks to you CampTramp. We owe you.Ron G

camptramp

Occupation
This is just history that is being preserved and should never be lost,thanks to you CampTramp. We owe you.Ron G

Thanks Ron G in our ever changing world we grew up when we had the opportunity to find a job and made a decent living , our needs were less and life was simpler . I enjoy finding and posting pictures of that era , it brings back a lot of memories of times and people I worked with . I , we owe a debt of gratitude to those who took the pictures I'm posting and to those who are willing to dig out their old albums and share them with us , the list is getting long , I sincerely thank them .

camptramp

Occupation
Super neat mobile A frame, now you know I have to ask...Dimensions, specs, power, drawing...
Thanks
Ap40

Wish I could help you , but that mobile "A Frame" was custom built by the manufactures of Hayes Logging Trucks in the early 1960's . Only worked at Renfrew Div. until 1966 then was dismantled and shipped up to McKenzie B.C. . HDX might have some information on it as he has some of the record's from Hayes Manufacturer's . The Dryland Sort at BCFP Renfrew Div. was one of the first on the West Coast of British Columbia , a lot of trial and error they got a system going . George Gibberson was the Master Mechanic at that time , he had a lot of good ideas and I think that was one of them , but it didn't fit as new things were tried .

camptramp

Occupation
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st-2nd pictures its interesting to see pictures of the DLS crew experimenting with a push off system when the Renfrew DLS was first opening up , they never got it perfected then , but 30 years later we were using a push off system at Honeymoon Bay DLS until Off Highway log hauling was discontinued . Its also interesting to see the Latourneau Log Stacker with 1 steering wheel . It couldn't have been at Renfrew very long as it showed up at Malloch & Moseley's DLS at Miur Cr. around 1963 . 3rd picture a very respectable log at Renfrew DLS don't know who the gentlemen are with the felt hats are , but I would think they were important . On the right with hands in his back pocket is long time Port Renfrew resident and BCFP Boom Foreman Murray Smith beside him is Renfrew Div. Superintendent Blondie Moxness . 4th picture is a young Pat MacMillen standing on a Wagoner Log Stacker Fork , a machine he would one day operate .scan07.jpgscan08.jpgscan09.jpgscan10.jpg

camptramp

Occupation
Pat Mac. (Bob MacMillen) BCFP Renfrew Div. I can't be absolutely sure but this could be the last or one of the last loads dumped by the "A Frame" at Renfrew Div. , if you look pasted the truck, Browns Creek looks like its been dredged out for the Booming Grounds for the new Dryland Sortscan11.jpg . Its a shame a picture wasn't taken from the front of the truck .

camptramp

Occupation
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st & 2nd pictures a spar tree being topped , 3rd picture Washington TL 6 (probably the 309) loading from a wooden home tree . 4th picture #160 (I think its a) Kenworth logging truck . 5th picture A fire trailer , one of several in the Division , during Fire Season there was usually one on every Yarder Landing .scan26.jpgscan27.jpgscan28.jpgscan29.jpgscan30.jpg

camptramp

Occupation
Pat Mac. (Bob MacMillen) BCFP Renfrew Div. The MacMillen family out to see a giant Cedar Butt . 1st picture 3 generations of the MacMillen family Pat out front Bob Mac and his Father with tape measuring diameter of Cedar Butt , Pat's sister Maureen on top of Cedar . 3rd & 4th picture Pat's mother Vee Mac and sister Maureen on top of Cedar .scan12.jpgscan13.jpgscan14.jpgscan15.jpg

camptramp

Occupation
Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP Renfrew Div. I'm not sure of the exact year , but sometime in 1950's BCFP started a Tree Planting program in Renfrew Div.. One of the first projects was to plant an area on the old rail road logged area known as "A Line" , which is across the San Juan River from Bear Creek Logging Camp . A foot bridge suspended on cables and skyline was built for crew's to cross the San Juan River and get their seedling's to the "A Line" side of the River . For many years when we drove the gravel road from Port Renfrew to Shawnigan Lake , just East of Bear Cr. camp we could look across the San Juan R. and see acre's a pond acre of rows of straight neatly spaced trees growing on the distant hillside . 1st picture is a sign on "Old Shawnigan Lake Rd" pointing out newly planted tree's . 2nd picture is the Foot Bridge crossing the San Juan River .scan16.jpgscan17.jpg Just a note , All the trees planted on that side hill had to be carried from the Foot Bridge to the planting sight .

caycusion

Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st-2nd pictures its interesting to see pictures of the DLS crew experimenting with a push off system when the Renfrew DLS was first opening up , they never got it perfected then , but 30 years later we were using a push off system at Honeymoon Bay DLS until Off Highway log hauling was discontinued . Its also interesting to see the Latourneau Log Stacker with 1 steering wheel . It couldn't have been at Renfrew very long as it showed up at Malloch & Moseley's DLS at Miur Cr. around 1963 . 3rd picture a very respectable log at Renfrew DLS don't know who the gentlemen are with the felt hats are , but I would think they were important . On the right with hands in his back pocket is long time Port Renfrew resident and BCFP Boom Foreman Murray Smith beside him is Renfrew Div. Superintendent Blondie Moxness . 4th picture is a young Pat MacMillen standing on a Wagoner Log Stacker Fork , a machine he would one day operate .View attachment 146179View attachment 146180View attachment 146181View attachment 146182
Lieutenant Governor George Pearkes and the Governor of Bermuda in felt hats.

camptramp

Occupation
caycusion you had be wondering for a moment , then I remembered Murray & Demi Smith were close "Kin" . I can remember your Mother and Uncle visiting in the summer's . Thanks for helping out . The Smiths were a great family , was a sad day for Port Renfrew when Murray got transferred to Plumper Bay Div. Victoria . Nice to see Peter has bought the family home at Port Renfrew back .

Last edited: