• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT, Bobcat, or Kubota Skid Steer?

Jackson S.

My dad lives in Houston and is looking to purchase a skid steer for his property, but I want to make sure he purchases the right equipment/brand. He wants the equipment for general use and keeping the land clean. What would be the best make and model for this type of thing?

My other question is that he is someone who usually needs help, especially with customer service and what not. Does anyone know who has the best customer service when it comes to skid steers/large machinery? Looking at the brands CAT, Bobcat, and Kubota.

Thanks!

Theweldor

Occupation
The Village Idiot
Customer service totally depends on the Dealer in your area. Some realize that people like your Dad are worthy customers and some will not care how much you spend with them. You need to check out the local Dealers near there.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
The best machine can be a nightmare without good dealer support. I'm not a fan of Kubota, I've had trouble with their hydraulics in other machines. Caterpillar's support network is hard to beat but I hear that varies from dealer to dealer. It's a strong brand in my area, the dealer is phenomenal.

Reuben Frazier

Customer support won’t be a CAT regardless where you go. Fast service and HD equipment yes but otherwise thr entire business model stinks plus a CAT will be 25k plus higher than the others. For what he’s needing I’d get into a Takeuchi and never look back.

JBrady

As others have said, a strong dealer is important. That being said, I have only been to the Bobcat dealer one time in the last 3 years. Get a low hour machine, and you probably won't be there very often unless he doesn't want or isn't able to do the routine maintenance things like oil changes or tire/track replacement. In my opinion, Bobcat, Cat, Kubota, Takeuchi, Case, & JD are all very solid and will work well for him. If mobility is an issue for him now or in the foreseeable future, JCB makes a side entry skid steer which I have heard is much easier to get in and out of. I've never run one, but they are definitely interesting and I can see where they have a big advantage over doing the awkward duck and pivot move to crawl into the traditional skid steers. I consider myself athletic but when I am moving a round bale of hay and have to get out to open a gate, it is quite an acrobatic maneuver to get in and out.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Dealer support has to be built on mutual respect. There is no color of equipment that ensures quality support. Speaking with the service manager and helping to establish that relationship is important. The salesman will sell the first machine, the service department usually sells the machines after that. Talk with contractors you see running a machine your interested in, find out first how their interaction has been with the service department. However also recognize that working on SSL is expensive. Things are hard to get at, and they have become pretty complex machines. It costs the dealer money to keep their techs trained on working on them.
As far as machines, you really need to demo them and decide what fits. I would look beyond the machines you speced as well. A sub 75 hp machine will keep you out of DEF.

Welder Dave

Do you want a rubber tire machine or a track machine is the first thing to decide. Much less maintainence on a rubber tire machine and less expensive to repair. Have heard some not so favorable things about JCB.

A good salesman will tell you the benefits of the machine they are selling instead of bashing other brands. They will also tell you if certain models of other brands are a good machine and in some cases recommend them because they are better than what they offer. My dad sold commercial turf equipment for 40 years and had better than 75% market share because he didn't just have customers, he had a lot of close friendships and valued that more than $$$ signs. He visited the factories on a regular basis and studied new machines when they came out. When he did demo's he'd have the person who would operate the machine, if they bought it, run it. That way he could explain the machine to the people who would buy it. He got to know the operators and mechanics who work with the machines. The city told him he never needs an appointment because they know he's not going there to waste their time. He always gave the best price he could the first time. He hated buying a car because they can never give you a straight price. When I was looking at skid steers in 1994, the Bobcat and Case salesmen were horrible. They were too busy knocking other brands to tell me much about their machines. My dad said you don't want to buy from people like that.