• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Chi's trivia thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Another thing a lot of people get wrong is which direction direct current electricity travels. Many people think positive to negative but it's wrong. It flows negative to positive. In welding it makes a lot of difference and is critical which way it's flowing in a lot of applications.
Because Ben Franklyn considered it to be an invisible fluid flowing from a place of excess (+) to a place of deficit(-). He arbitrarily guessed & assigned - (negative) to electrons. He later figured out they flow the other direction & only partially corrected his earlier presumptions.

There are people who will argue this, they also believe the earth is flat. In truth electrons move from one atom to another, this is electrical flow.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
If you have a pipe 10 ft tall 1ft diameter filled with water and a pipe 10 ft tall 10 ft diameter filled with water, with a pressure gage at the bottom what PSI will the gauges read ?

27,68 inches of water will create 1 psi so each pipes pressure gage will read the same about 4. 33 psi. Think of diving in the ocean if you are 10 feet deep about 4.33 psi on you same as if you are 10 ft doen in a pool. The diameter of pipe does not affect the pressure the height of water creates
231 inches depth is 1 gallon in a per square inch sense.1 gallon weighs about 8.4 LBS I'll say 231 inches deep will give 8.4 psi. When I calculate the elevation difference between my water supply, that about works out in the middle of the night when usage is low. May I read your comma as a decimal point? Then we agree.

chidog

On a Cat engine with retarder and jakes-which one is applied first?
Its been awhile, but I remember using the retarder to help break in an overhauled 3406, so I'd say the jakes will come on first if selected, retarder is manually applied?, I forget how to do it though. That was back in about 1990 or so?

scholzee

231 inches depth is 1 gallon in a per square inch sense.1 gallon weighs about 8.4 LBS I'll say 231 inches deep will give 8.4 psi. When I calculate the elevation difference between my water supply, that about works out in the middle of the night when usage is low. May I read your comma as a decimal point? Then we agree.
Yes was meant to be decimal point 231" / 27.68 " = 8.34 psi

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
Weather is always crazy. We just pay attention to it more because the media is conditioning us to. Weather patterns have been a moving target since they started keeping records only 200? Years ago.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
Is there a hidden/ghost gear in a 13spd?

I am not real familiar with road trucks and 13 speeds, But 9 out of 10 dump trucks that aren't Macks have an 8LL with more than 8 forward speeds. At least the trucks I have driven . .

Truck Shop

Is it possible to split the bottom gears in an unaltered 13 speed?
Nope-it takes a 18 spd back section and axillary drive gear.
The hidden gear was once in fifth direct flip it to overdrive and shift to low not first. This was done to keep from
dropping to 4th under. The ratio works out slightly higher than 4th, but it must be done smoothly. Eaton
does not recommend it. And really your not gaining anything.

cfherrman

It's kinda like those 7 speeds where low side 4th was just a little lower than high side 4th. I never drove it grabbing both 4ths but a bunch of people did.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Nope-it takes a 18 spd back section and axillary drive gear.
The hidden gear was once in fifth direct flip it to overdrive and shift to low not first. This was done to keep from
dropping to 4th under. The ratio works out slightly higher than 4th, but it must be done smoothly. Eaton
does not recommend it. And really your not gaining anything.

I know that's the proper way but it is actually possible to split the low range gears in a 13 speed with a 13 speed knob. Have to get creative with the buttons on the shifter is all I'll say.

Definitely don't do it though if you don't want to buy a new transmission.

Welder Dave

I have a 9 speed in the dump truck and not having much experience driving big trucks was wondering how to put it in reverse in high range. Can you just let off the throttle for a second and flip the lever up while moving or can you start in high range? Sometimes I need to back up a ways. I have concluded that it's very hard to shift from granny low into to 1st while still moving. When you get on firmer ground you can stop and then start off in 1st. gear. Reverse I'm not sure how to get in high range.

chidog

Weather is always crazy. We just pay attention to it more because the media is conditioning us to. Weather patterns have been a moving target since they started keeping records only 200? Years ago.
Well never used to have a tree falling wind storm in the area every 2 weeks or so maybe every 3 or 4 years. Never had 112 degree days in this state. Never had a summer and extended summer with no rain and 80 plus temps with no wind for 4 plus months. All with in the last 2 years. And goes along with many other things like food plant fires and dead cattle and chickens. I'm not an anti mineral fuel person. There is a reason for this weather and if was known it would ruin the fun of some.
And this is just one example of information. https://www.geoengineeringwatch.org/

Last edited:

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
You would be the only one on the plant I know of that can.
Flip the range selector up and then put it in the high split. As long as the shift lever doesn't touch neutral it shouldn't complete the range shift.

Good way to blow up a transmission though.

Status
Not open for further replies.